Is it ever okay to just not go back to your job?

I took a job working for a contract company about 2 weeks ago. I was assigned to be a custodian at a business the contract company bid at a very low price. They bid the price per man hour as cheap as they possibly could and still pay their employees minimum wage. I've been assigned 6am to 3pm Monday thru... show more I took a job working for a contract company about 2 weeks ago. I was assigned to be a custodian at a business the contract company bid at a very low price. They bid the price per man hour as cheap as they possibly could and still pay their employees minimum wage. I've been assigned 6am to 3pm Monday thru Friday with an hour lunch break.

The big problem is this business doesn't care how their employees talk to us because we are NOT their employees. I'm getting tired of their manager totally ripping my butt daily over stupid details and I'm told by my boss I just have to deal with it because he needs me at this location. Last week when a customer complained about me the manager told him I was a special needs employee. Then the customer came back and apologized, he said he was really sorry, he didn't realize I was retarded.

Now on a 48 hour notice, I've been reassigned to the overnight shift which they said was due to a conflict of interest. I told my boss that I can't work overnight, but he said he was sorry, that was the schedule and I was just going to have to suck it up and do it.

If I just don't show up they won't know it until morning when they find filthy restrooms that didn't get cleaned, overflowing trash that didn't get emptied etc. I was just informed if I want to call in sick, I will have to find my own replacement as per my employee agreement when I was hired and bring a doctor's note.