Logistics behind child protective services, abusive parents, and runaway situation.?

I'm writing a book in which the protagonist, a 14 year old boy, is present when his 16 year old step brother is running away from Brooklyn, NY to go to Washington, DC where his abusive father is. The protagonist follows him if only because he can't stop him. The question is, when they arrive and the step... show more I'm writing a book in which the protagonist, a 14 year old boy, is present when his 16 year old step brother is running away from Brooklyn, NY to go to Washington, DC where his abusive father is. The protagonist follows him if only because he can't stop him.
The question is, when they arrive and the step brother's abusive father calls their mom, how would they get home/what would happen between then?
My assumption is, authorities wouldn't put two teenage boys that just ran away from home on a plane by themselves to fly home, but I honestly don't know. It's only an hour flight. Cost aside, what would happen? Would they have some sort of escort? Would one of the parents have to fly to DC and get them then fly home?
I'm going under the assumption that the boys wouldn't be able to stay in the custody of the step brother's abusive father, but maybe I'm wrong. I honestly have no idea how our government handles stuff like that. Would they go to a police station until a flight could be arranged? Is there some sort of child services office? It's somewhere around 6:30-7:00 on a Saturday by this point. Are they even open that late? Who would the adults call?

If there is no procedure, please let me know.
Any and all related answers are much appreciated!!!
I haven't been able to find any answers elsewhere.