If faith is belief without evidence, then why do people dispute this when it comes to the presence of God? Ex: Why do they try to prove?

To have faith in God is, in essence to believe that He exists, without any evidence that He exists. So with this being the case, I am confused as to why some people refuse to just accept it for what it is, as opposed to trying to go a step further and find evidence that God does exist. This is almost like a contradiction of the very idea of what God is, as if saying that a person of faith does not actually believe that He exists or has doubt, since they are trying to prove that he exists. It would be like me saying that I have faith that Santa Claus is real, but instead of just taking comfort in the fact that I believe it, I was concerned about the fact that other people didn't believe it, which suggests a measure of uncertainty on my part that he actually does exist. Furthermore, none of this changes what it is to have faith in God, Santa Claus, etc. But rather it does nothing but show that some people are lacking the faith that they claim to have in these people. There is nothing wrong with believing in God, without having any evidence that he exists, and if someone thinks that there is a problem with it then chances are that they are not truly a person of faith or religion, as opposed to one who is agnostic or something similar to it. Or either they misunderstand what it is to have faith, or they are not comfortable with it.

• Saad M
    1 year ago

The Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: Faith in God is embodied in the heart and concretized by religious practice.

• 1 year ago

To not be able to see God. Does not mean that he doesn't exist. He definitely exists but we cannot see him because he is a spirit person. If we could see him he wouldn't be God. Hebrews 11:24:27

• 1 year ago

Hi,

Before I answer your question about the existence of God. Let's discuss what the Bible defines as Faith. Many people believe that faith is blind trust or belief.

The Bible, in contrast, describes faith as being neither blind nor illogical. God’s Word says: “Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.”​—Hebrews 11:1.

What that means...

At the time of the writing of the Bible book of Hebrews, the Greek term translated “assured expectation” was commonly used. It often appeared in business documents and carried the idea of a guarantee of future possession of something. Therefore, one reference work suggests that Hebrews 11:1 could be translated: “Faith is the title-deed of things hoped for.”

If you have ever bought an item from a reputable company and then waited for it to be delivered, you have exercised that type of faith. The sales receipt in your hand gave you reason for faith in the company from which you bought the item. In a sense, that receipt was your title deed, your guarantee that you would receive what you purchased. If you had lost the receipt or had thrown it away, you would have lost the proof of your claim of ownership. Similarly, those who have faith that God will fulfill his promises are guaranteed to receive what they hope for. On the other hand, those who do not have faith, or who lose it, are not entitled to receive the things God promises.​—James 1:5-8.

The second expression at Hebrews 11:1, translated “evident demonstration,” carries the idea of producing evidence that contradicts that which only appears to be factual. For instance, the sun appears to revolve around the earth​—rising in the east, moving through the sky, and setting in the west. However, evidence from astronomy and mathematics reveals that the earth is not the center of the solar system. Once you become familiar with that evidence and accept it as true, you have faith that the earth revolves around the sun​—despite what your eyes tell you. Your faith is not blind. On the contrary, it gives you the ability to see things as they really are, not merely as they seem to be.

This is the type of faith that the Bible encourages​—strong faith built on solid evidence, even if it requires that we adjust our beliefs. Such faith is vital. The apostle Paul wrote: “Without faith no one can please God. Anyone who comes to God must believe that he is real and that he rewards those who truly want to find him.”​—Hebrews 11:6, New Century Version.

As to the second part of your question belief in God. I was a little confused by the latter part of your query I wasn't sure if you believed in God or not, but notice what the Bible has to say on the subject.

Does God Exist? Is there a God?

The Bible’s answer

Yes, the Bible provides compelling evidence that God exists. It encourages us to build faith in God, not by blindly believing religious assertions, but by using our “power of reason” and “mental perception.” (Romans 12:1; 1 John 5:20, footnote) Consider the following lines of reasoning based on the Bible:

The existence of an orderly universe containing life points to a Creator. The Bible says: “Of course, every house is constructed by someone, but the one who constructed all things is God.” (Hebrews 3:4) Although this logic is simple, many well-educated people find it to be powerful. As humans, we have an innate desire to understand the meaning and purpose of life, a type of hunger that can remain after our physical needs have been met. This is part of what the Bible calls our “spiritual need,” which includes the desire to know and worship God. (Matthew 5:3; Revelation 4:11) This spiritual need not only gives evidence that God exists but also indicates that he is a loving Creator who wants us to satisfy that need.—Matthew 4:4.

Detailed prophecies in the Bible were written centuries ahead of time and came true exactly as predicted. The accuracy and detail of those predictions strongly suggest that they came from a superhuman source.—2 Peter 1:21.

Bible writers had scientific knowledge that was beyond the understanding of their contemporaries. For example, in ancient times many peoples believed that the earth was supported by an animal, such as an elephant, a boar, or an ox. In contrast, the Bible says that God is “suspending the earth upon nothing.” (Job 26:7) Similarly, the Bible correctly describes the shape of the earth as a “sphere,” or “globe.” (Isaiah 40:22, footnote; Douay Version) Many people feel that the most reasonable explanation for such advanced understanding is that Bible writers received their information from God.

Would you like to learn more about our Creator, Jehovah God? Why not take time to investigate for yourself?

The Bible’s message about God is simple yet thought-provoking—and to some it is surprising.

Our Creator is not an impersonal force. God has a personality and a name, Jehovah. *—Isaiah 42:8.

Jehovah God’s existence has no beginning and will have no end.—Psalm 93:2; Isaiah 40:28.

God is not a stern judge, as he is portrayed by some religions. Rather, his foremost quality is love.—1 John 4:8.

God is interested in humans and has communicated his purpose for our lives.—Ecclesiastes 12:13; Micah 6:8.

Does the Bible reveal everything about God? Of course not. The Bible itself says that we know “just the fringes of his ways.”—Job 26:14. For more info Visit jw.org >Publications >Book and Brochures > What Can The Bible Teach Us Chapter 1 Who is God?

Source(s): JW.org
    • Hiroshi
      1 year agoReport

The Bible is just quite poor fiction on the level of fairy tales. Prove that Paul and Moses even existed. Whoever wrote the Bible was pathetically ignorant of reality and made numerous stupid contradictions. People of Moses' alleged time were quite ignorant of modern science. Moses supposedly

• 1 year ago

And if faith is not belief without evidence then you have just made yourself look a fool.

Your sin is certain, too much evidence for that, so how are you to be saved from your sin?

• Faith and beleifs have no actual evidence and my be quite contrary to evidence. Sins do not exist, since gods do not exist and thus cannot make laws for us to violate. Ernest S makes a royal fool of himself.

1 year ago

It is nothing to do with you if God chooses to show someone evidence

of His presence. Nobody has to prove anything to you ~ and on what

grounds do you imagine anybody needs to? You have no authority.

Your rant appears an attempt to preclude anybody having evidence of

God ~ when it is God's call, not yours ~ whether He reveals more.

Have you examined your own motive for this position you espouse,

and do you know who or what you align with, in opposing God?

• 1 year ago

Faith is not belief without evidence( Heb.11:1)

Faith in God is based on conditions and evidence. God's word, the Bible is supported by history and science.

The visible creative works testify to the existence of an invisible creator. (Romans 1:20) There is also the fulfillment of prophecies that can increase our confidence in God's future promises. Romans 10:17 says: "Faith follows the thing heard."

• Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Matthew said that when you call someone a fool, you risk Hellfire. Rolando need to read that Bible he thumps so loudly.

• 1 year ago

You ask a good question. There are so many idiotic ideas that some people who call themselves Christians have that I am reluctant to call myself a Christian even though I believe that God exists, that Jesus is God's Son and that the Bible in the original Hebrew and Greek is true. To answer your question, the English word "Faith" means trust. The Greek word that is translated as faith is "pistis" which is a Greek word that more closely means believe. If you believe in God or Jesus without any evidence then the reason you believe is a gift of the Holy Spirit. People who do not believe have not been given that gift. Christian Faith or Belief does not have to be without evidence althogh sometimes.it is. People who have not been given the gift of belief cannot undersatand whhy we believe, They think we are either stupit or deluded, so they say any proof we give is not proof.

• antonius
      1 year agoReport

You believe because you were trained, rather indoctrinated to believe what you claim and you remain deluded because you have by now been self-hypnotized.

• John S
    1 year ago

I'm glad you are thinking about this and are starting to see that your definition of 'faith' isn't making sense or you have to do a lot of psychio-analysis and jump thru a bunch of hoops to make it, make sense.

So what if your definition is flawed? -- What if you've bought into a sorta 'pop-culture' and overly simplified definition of the word 'faith' ??

What if faith does NOT mean 'belief without evidence' ???

I think adjusting your definition in light of your question makes a lot of sense. IF faith really means 'without evidence" and yet people seem to be searching for evidence and coming up with answers (even if you disagree with their answers) then perhaps faith is NOT about a lack of evidence, but merely coming to a different conclusion.

MAYBE?

I believe a more accurate definition of 'faith' or 'to believe' is:

"The degree of confidence that one puts that they are correct, given the arguments or evidence for something that is NOT a simple matter of fact and which there is at least some level of debate about OR for which the evidence is not conclusive."

There are LOTS of examples of things in life that we aren't 100% sure of OR that not everyone agrees with, but that we THINK we are right about, none the less.

I always use the following example (something that I believe to be true but someone else won't know):

I BELIEVE that my wife has not cheated on me with anyone else. I have reasons for this belief, I have evidence which supports this conclusion. HOWEVER, I am not with her every second of every day and thus there is always a small chance that I am wrong and she is REALLY good at hiding it. Therefore I have a very high degree of FAITH in her, though I will never know for sure.

Someone else might have a different opinion or interpretation of the evidence and thus it is not an established matter of fact in everyone's minds.

Whether or not I can effectively convince someone else that she is faithful or not -- doesn't change the reality.

I may not be able to explain my reasons. My reasons may not seem very convincing - but that doesn't mean that she has cheated and I am wrong.

My faith in her may be well placed and secure OR it might be wrong. Some of my reasons are personal (personal experience) some are empirical (physical). But I have my reasons, so it is not irrational.

Thus I have FAITH in my wife.

• Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

No, John is wrong. Faith means without adequate evidence and can be contrary to evidence.

• 1 year ago

And yet, when one decides to believe through God's gift of faith to them, the evidence of God clearly comes into view all around them.

• 1 year ago

Faith in God is warranted because God has provided three strands of evidence to make faith in Him reasonable. Your opening premise is thus skewed. It is after a person believes in the reality of God that faith is then needed to believe the promises of God and to live (or even die) for God. Faith believes and then acts. Plenty of people believe God exists but they have no faith that He has any dealings with humanity or requires anything of them, so they live godless lives. They do not believe the promises of God and that's where faith without evidence comes in but you have to believe He exists first! Abraham was no atheist: he believed God and acted, and that was counted as righteousness (by God) because he demonstrated faith in God. But his faith was needed to do what God required as Abraham had no proof that God would resurrect Isaac if he sacrificed him. That's where faith without evidence is needed - Hebrews 11:8-19. That whole chapter about people of faith nowhere says they had faith God existed; that's taken as understood because they went on to act in faith doing what God required. That's the point of biblical faith - believing God and acting in belief.

The 3 reasonable strands of evidence are, the work of God's hands - this universe, this planet, and all life on it. It bears His 'signature' as the artist who produced this magnificent work of glory which He gave us the brains to appreciate. Unfortunately, those who think brains developed inside the heads of little creatures in a pool of sludge seem to have no connection between their eyes and their vastly more complex brains.

Second, God broke into human history over the centuries, communicating with some people and even some nations. There are written records about that. Unfortunately, those who require newspaper articles, with photos of historic events, dismiss that written record as nonsense.

Third, God sent His Son to Earth, as a human, to do for unappreciative humans what they could never do to get right with God. Unfortunately, the faithless, who couldn't recognize God in Christ, crucified Him.

However, God resurrected His Son back to life, and over 500 people witnessed Him alive and well, during a 40-day period after His crucifixion Of course, that isn't good enough for people who have no idea what faith actually is. Why, even a Court of Law would accept the testimony of over 500 eye-witnesses (never mind if they could explain how it happened - they witnessed that it HAD happened. They saw the risen Christ!) A Court of Law would even accept circumstantial evidence that corroborated events. But not our faithless doubters! Oh no. They've got to see things with their own eyes, or see a video of it on YouTube, before they will believe anything.

Meanwhile, Christians just get on with declaring the good news about the crucified then resurrected Jesus Christ, the Son of God who makes God known to those humbly seeking Him.