Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 year ago

What would you guys pay per pound for a NON-GMO Farm Raised Chicken?

I have been raising laying hens for a while now and have raised meat chickens for my own table before but I have never sold them. the longer I have been in the chicken raising business the more I have thought about raising the meat chickens in addition to my layers.really I am just looking for some ideas of what someone would pay for them. '

please no PETA type answers I am in 4-H and take really good care of all my animals . 4-H animals have better lives then most animals that live out there lives with other people. also I plan on raising cornish cross chickens and they just can't live much longer then butcher weight because they can't support there weight and are more susceptible to heart attack after they are much larger than butcher weight. I digress but I posted a similar question about a year ago and all I got was answers like: how do you sleep at night...

thank you so much for any answers

20 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

I rise my own so nothing.

You need to find out what people are paying for farm raised chicken in your area and go from there.

And I fully agree, modern meat breeds have been bred to become LARGE and fast. so fast they will eat themselves to death and they grow so fast their bodies can't handle it. Their bones break and their organs shut down, its very cruel to let them live for too long.

Its easy to sleep at night since you rise and butcher your own animals so you know how well treated they are, you know they are not feed antibiotics at all times due to over crowded conditions, you know they are not packed into small cages and handled so roughly thier bones are broken.

• random_man
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Broken bones in chicken generally happen during the processing, after slaughter. And broilers are not usually raised in cages.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I really have an issue with labels that say Non GMO, Organic, etc. because despite the so called 'truth in advertising' laws, I simply don't trust them.

• ckngbbbls
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

is there even such a thing as a GMO chicken? I bet not.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

A local farmer charges $4 per pound. Since you are competing with the people who are local to you, just go to a local farmers market and ask around.

• dj
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

Price not too much higher than that for gmo

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

yes....

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

There was an article that said that consumers will pay a premium of 150% for such things.

• 1 year ago

69 cents

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

around 4 bucks

• 1 year ago

Zero.

• 1 year ago

Lowest cost I can find is 69 cents a pound in our area.

Remember that you can bag up aged chicken poop for natural fertilizer and sell that as well.

• 1 year ago

Knowing what I would pay here on northern Vancouver Island wouldn't do you much good. Neither would knowing what someone in Manhattan would pay won't help either if you are in, say, Oklahoma or Oregon. You have to go by prices in your area.

I suggest looking for similar chicken being sold where you live and see what the price is. And don't forget to check for any regulations that might apply to poultry being sold for human consumption. Around here, it must be taken to a government-approved slaughterhouse. You can't butcher it at home and legally sell it as food for people. I'm sure someone in 4-H has some idea about this stuff in your location. Have you asked around?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.