Can employers legally sack or refuse employment to any person based on what these employers find on the Internet about that person?

As in an employer who will do a Google search on any prospective or current employee of his/her establishment. I genuinely believe my ability to keep or apply for a job will most likely be affected as I had confessed (yes, confessed) online about being a paedophile/child molester when I’m not one.

At first I thought having a clean criminal record would clear me of any crime, but I also realised I confessed to being a paedophile/child molester when I was never one which is as good as a criminal conviction since I’m confessing to being one , even though I’m not really one.

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago
    Best Answer

The short answer is yes. Every state has some form of the "at-will" employment doctrine. This means employers can fire you for any reason, or no reason at all, so long as the reason is not membership in a protected class (e.g. race, national origin, ethnicity, skin color, gender, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, etc.).

The at-will doctrine doesn't apply if you're working under an employment contract, as part of a union, or under a collective bargaining agreement. There are also exceptions where you encounter a hostile working environment, or where your pay falls below minimum wage (and a few others).

• 1 year agoReport

join a unoin then thay cant

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

only black men have this happen to them.

• 1 year ago

A business must consider the risk of hiring any particular person. For instance if a person was hired that had a history of violence, and knowing that fact could face expensive litigation if this employee were to assault a customer or another employee.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

yes

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Yes. Prove that you were not hired because of what they saw. If you can, there's not anything you can do about it anyway. If you are an employee who is not covered under a collective bargaining agreement with a union, they don't need a reason to terminate anyone, so if they wanted to use this as a reason, they may.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I don't know if the specific "lies" you told would concern me. I would be VERY CONCERNED about the psychiatric history to which you admit on more one Internet site. I would be concerned about my company's health insurance premiums, other "admissions" you might choose to make (including against me) as well as any other number of problems, including my concern if you interacted with anyone underage while on the job. It's not about "just" the pedophilia.

"I am currently a patient with this mental heath organization. Mercy Mental Health. (Wyndham Clinic) Phone number. +61 3 8734 1550 (8AM - 3PM AEST) Patient name Jan Harmond Dacion. Please do not complicate my situation by telling them any other problems I don't have, as I am trying to get a 2nd opinion that will show I have no mental illnesses that will then allow me to start a career. Don't take away my life. ."

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/jan-harmond-dacion-y...

• 1 year ago

The SOURCE of the information is legally irrelevant. The specific information could be subject to legal restrictions.

That said, in YOUR case, the reason will be that you constantly lie HERE about having defamed yourself elsewhere,

• Jan D1 year agoReport

Do you actually think I am a paedophile child/molester. I was only lying about that online here and on Kiwi Farms. I'm not really what i said and posted about myself.

• 1 year ago

Yes, and they do all the time, if you are on Facebook, they check out your friends.

• 1 year agoReport

He has friends?????

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Absolutely yes. They legally fire you if they had a dream that you turned into a vampire. That's a 100% legal reason to fire someone for, even if they TELL YOU THAT WAS THE ONLY REASON.

Workers in the USA have no protections thanks to AT WILL laws pushed by Republicans. If you don't like that arrangement, every time you vote for a republican you are saying it's FINE WITH YOU.

• 1 year agoReport

Wish we did have. He's BRILLIANT!!

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Of course. They can refuse to hire you for any reason.

• JoKyoNim
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

And try getting unemployment when a company claims 'misconduct'. It becomes a nightmare. An guess what 'Right to Work' encourages this employer behavior.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.