Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 2 years ago

I'm 19 and have two years of tap dance experience. Am I too old to find and compete in tap competitions?

Also as an FYI I never danced competitively before.

Favorite Answer

Competition dance (with the exception of ballroom dancing) is generally over at the age when you finish high school. I think you would be hard pressed to find adult competition tap. If you did you would be competting against dancers who have trained in tap their entire lives. With only two years you are still in the beginner stages.

You should be able to continue with your training at your age in adult tap classes. Dance competitions don’t make you a better dancer. They are expensive to participate in and basically only serve those running it. Do you really need the validation of winning a trophy? Trophies are given to those with the best dance tricks not always those that are the best dancers.

cormega