? asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 year ago

If my parents said yes to a dog, then they would want me to trade my pigs for the dog. What should I do?

I have 2 female guinea pigs, they have been making a lot of mess for me to clean up...and I am the only one taking care of my pigs, my parents won t help either.

One time, my mom asked what if we traded the guinea pigs for a dog. Then, I didn t want that.

But, recently I took it into consideration.

It sounds bad, but I wouldn t be just trading them in just for a dog. They are very messy and harder for me to take care of.

I got them last Christmas and begged for them....

So I am a little lost and just need an opinion, I ve wanted a dog for forever and I really don t want to miss my chance.

Update:

My parents mainly want to trade the guinea pigs for a dog. The excitement of even having a pet is still there. But, I take care of them by myself which makes the job harder on me. If anyone has owned guinea pigs I need tips on how to control where they pee a bit better. But, I have always wanted a dog, so hands tied; I don't know what to do. And getting a dog has been my childhood want. Trading my pets aren't in my best want but a dog is my parents preference. So I am stuck.

Update 2:

"faithfully promised you'd clean up after then and take care of them, etc. I suspect that once the novelty of the dog wears off, you'll be whining about it too."

XD The only thing I whine about around here is that I wish I could have more support from my siblings.

I still love my pigs, give them the care they need and all. I have even tried spending more time than ever with them. Animals interest me, no matter the amount of poo they process.

Update 3:

"Since you are too lazy to take care of a pair of rodents, then you are too lazy to take care of a dog."

Lazy really isn't the correct word. I am definitely not lazy with my piggies, and if you think a guinea pigs aren't a lot of work then your mistaken. Dogs are a lot of work. Equally, so are guinea pigs. You made it sound like a little work, they are surprisingly hard animals to take care of.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

If you think pigs are easier to care for than a dog you are very ill informed.

I personally am horrified that you would trade one pet for another. When you get sick of the dog, what is the next trade?

If you got the pigs without doing research (which I suspect is the case) how is anyone to know if you do or don't know a thing about dogs?

Just because it's the law if you are underage, not 18, these aren't your pigs and it won't be your dog. Juveniles cannot own property, and animals are property.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Hate to tell you but your 2 pigs are far easier to take care of and upkeep then any dog. Dogs are a heck of a lot messier then pigs, they need to be housebroken and trained in obedience. Housebreaking can take months, sometimes longer. Training must be done from the day you bring home the dog.

And a dog can easily live 10-20 yrs. If you don't want to take care of 2 pigs, you won't want to take care of a dog.

• 1 year ago

Dogs are FAR more work than guinea pigs. Ive had both. If you cant handle the cavies.. You wont be able to handle a dog.

• 1 year ago

Do not bring a dog into your home, it will only be neglected and treated badly, eventually left behind when you move out. Just don't. Animals are not novelty items here for your amusement, there are lots of other hobbies....find one.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Pets are living feeling creatures, not toys to be traded in for something you decide is "better" when you get bored of them. You made a commitment to care for the guinea pigs and should see that commitment out. Shame on both you and your parents for even thinking about this.

• 1 year ago

i think dogs are a really great animal. they are there for you for a while, where guinea pigs, i don’t think they last too long. i would trade in hte guinea pigs. i’d feel bad doing so but a dog is gonna be so much better and more responsive and is easily more independent.

• 1 year ago

As long as the dog is for the family and NOT you, then do what you want. You've proven you don't have the maturity for ANY pet and definitely NOT a dog.

• C
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Then that is what will happen again.

• 1 year ago

Cleaning up after a dog is just as bad, The bigger the dog the bigger the mess,

Peace.

• 1 year ago

I would take the dog over the gp. Gp has a life expectancy of about 5 years. Dogs about 10-15 depending on the breed and size.

Who’s going to pay for the vet bills. A dog can get quite expensive especially during its twilight years when it will need to see to see the vet more often to treat its ailments.

• ?1 year agoReport

Probably my parents, I agree that a dog would last longer and be honestly less of a mess. My parents would.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Feed the pigs to your new dog.

• ?1 year agoReport

XD Thanks for the advice but, no thanks.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.