I lied about having a job to my parents. How do I tell them the truth?

I had a part-time job at college, and 6 weeks ago they fired me without warning because they found a naive student volunteer who’d do the work for free. I would’ve told my parents the truth that week, but then I got called in for another lab job interview two days later. For some reason, I chickened out. I didn’t... show more I had a part-time job at college, and 6 weeks ago they fired me without warning because they found a naive student volunteer who’d do the work for free. I would’ve told my parents the truth that week, but then I got called in for another lab job interview two days later.

For some reason, I chickened out. I didn’t want to say I got fired, so I lied and said I was still working for the previous job. I was hoping I could get the other job within the week and thus still have paystubs to show my parents.

As of now, I don’t know the status of my application to the latter job; they haven’t responded to my email from two weeks ago. Now I’m terrified to come clean to my parents because I’ve been lying to them for a month. How should I break the news to them?