What has more recoil a .45 ACP or a 10mm Auto?

Both out of 1911s around the same weight.

• 1 year ago
    Best Answer

I have shot both, really can't tell much difference. The 10 seems to be a quicker recoil.

Depends a lot on the load and bullet weight.

I have just shot so much, I don't give it thought.

Been carrying and shooting .45 ACP, 230 grain for a couple decades, if I change at all it will be to the 10MM.

• 1 year ago

The 10 MM has more recoil. That is why the FBI dumbed it down into the 40 Smith and Wesson, a lot of their agents did not like the recoil.

• 1 year ago

10mm.

• Matt
    1 year ago

Depends on the weight of the bullet. but generally .45 will be a bit more snappy in my experience.

• Quinn
    1 year ago

10mm Auto will have a snappier recoil whereas the .45 ACP will feel more like a push. The felt recoil impulse for a .45 ACP compared to the 10mm Auto seems to occur over a relatively longer period. However, you have to consider the various types of loads available for both cartridges; a lighter load for a 10mm Auto could have less felt recoil than a hot load .45 ACP.

• 1 year ago

.40 smith,/10mm has a sharper recoil.

• 1 year ago

10mm will have more free recoil.

That said - keep in mind you are NOT restricted to firing only top of the line 'most powerful' ammo known to man. Both 10mm and 45acp come in target loads, plinking loads, and light loads for women.

If you visit www.midwayus.com or www.brownells.com you will see Wolf makes about 16 different recoil springs from 9lb to 24lb for the 1911. 14lb to 16lb is standard for normal 230gr military ball. You go lighter for target loads and heavier for heavy loads. Depending on the ammo - you can change how the recoil 'feels' by moving to a slightly higher rated recoil spring. Instead of a quick recoil, the recoil spread out over a bit more time - the push back to your hand is longer, just not as 'snappy'.

The problem you also face and might want to consider - a pistol becomes allot lighter as the ammo count in the magazine goes down. Less weight means more felt recoil. So, don't just load a full mag, pop off two rounds and compare the recoil. Be sure to test the pistols with just rounds in the magazine and see how you like it.

I have owned 30+ different 1911's in my life. None of them 10mm. If you gave me a 10mm I would certainly keep it. Probably move it to one of my main carry pistols. 10mm is very reliable in a 1911. However when you load mags with just 5 rounds, like in Bullseye competition, those last rounds are harder to control than a similar 45acp might be. I have a Kimber Grand Talon 1911 that is 45acp. I used it last winter as my match 1911 in league shooting and did very, very well. Its also a pistol that makes a great concealed carry. 10mm - you wont be doing both of those things with a 10mm.

1 year ago

Guns are very dangerous

• Lv 5
      1 year agoReport

Thumb up your own answers with your two ghost accounts, Gary?

• C T M
    1 year ago

If you shoot them both out of a similar handgun the 10mm will have more recoil than the 45ACP will. A true test would be to get 2 1911's, one in 10mm and one in 45ACP and load them both with 200gr ammo and fire them one after the other.

• BBean
    1 year ago

If I were curious and didn`t have the facilities to compare....I might ask someone who does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exkDicxpYFw

Youtube thumbnail