LGBT: what do you think this quote means?

“Happy people don’t make history

Happy people make children, then die.”

• 1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

It's an oversimplification, of course. There are exceptions. But in general I think it's true. Most people really just want to live their lives and take joy in the simple things...and they'll put up with an awful lot of oppression before they feel forced to do anything other than just that. I think I would have said "Happy people live out their peaceful lives, then die" - I don't think the "make children" phrase was really the point.

As for what it means, I think it suggests that "History", as we think of it, is actually a record of upheaval and tragedy, NOT a chronology of the events of the world. Think of all the history classes you've attended - it's all wars, famines and plagues. Not ONCE did your prof say "in the period from 1654 to 1715, nothing happened". History gives us a skewed idea about humanity. It doesn't ever address all those years in all those places where there WAS no war, no famine, and no plague. It only talks about the bad stuff. Oh, sure - someplace in the world, there are always people killing each other. In SEVERAL places, in fact. But what about the REST OF THE WORLD, where happy people are just getting on with their peaceful lives, and dying in bed? THAT doesn't sell any textbooks, though. It doesn't make any careers. Fact: the science of "History" ignores the vast majority of the human experience on this planet. It tells us we are ceaselessly violent killers, and there's not a chance in hell that any of us will get along for any length of time. And that's just wrong. And even a casual glance at our Chronology proves that. "History" is a sham, and studying it focuses us on the worst sort of people and the worst sort of concerns and motivations - and suggests to us, by omitting all that is habitual, peaceful, and true about us, that such persons and issues are the norm. Happy people don't make history, it's true - They are its victims.

We aren't ceaselessly violent killers, given a chance. Yes, we each have that inside us - but given any sort of chance, what we are is happy people, who want to live our peaceful lives, then die. That's what it means to me, anyway.

• 1 year ago

Maybe a follow up question to yourself would be, why making history is such a critical - important thing for you.

In my experience the most content and happy people I have known did not have a need to seek out being recorded in history. Well I guess we could say they are, my own grandparents for example, they made history in our little corner of the planet.

• mac
    1 year ago

but gay men cant "make babies together"...and im betting their happy.....same with lesbians.....as for history....alot of happy people make history...

• 1 year ago

Well, the first individual I thought of was Adolf Hitler.