David
David asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 years ago

On what platform do Authors write their books?!?

I have never written a book before.I love writing, and I have been told by a few professors in college that I have a gift for it. I've been wanting to write a book for a long time, and I have been planning and thinking through plot details for a good stretch. I'm nearly ready to start writing.

However... on what platform should I use when I start writing it?! Am I supposed to just open up a microsoft word document?! I mean this thing is going to be long! I might want to be able to go back in, and correct things. Is there a special platform that real authors use when they write their novels?! Does anybody know???

Whatever works for you.

Some write by hand in notebooks, some write in whatever their favourite word processing programme is on their computer such as Microsoft Word.

With regards to editing and backup, it's best to do it on a computer (and back it up to a memory stick / online).

Google Docs would be one option.

I wrote my novels using Microsoft Word and ran into formatting problems. Apparently Word isn't designed for long documents. The publishing industry likes the Apple equivalent, which is probably because their processor is better with novels. I can't afford an Apple, so I don't know from first hand experience.

• Athena

What platform?

What do you think "real authors" did before the advent of word processors?

Open up a WORD document and start writing.

Stop coming up with reasons not to start.

Worry about the formatting and all that garbage later.

Good luck.