Can I learn more about this culture my son is into?

My 15-year-old son continuously watches Japanese cartoons in his room. He sometimes cries while watching them, and talks to his friends about this a lot. While I can t remember the titles he talks to me about, I know that he enjoys them to the point where he tries to learn the Japanese language to understand them... show more My 15-year-old son continuously watches Japanese cartoons in his room. He sometimes cries while watching them, and talks to his friends about this a lot. While I can t remember the titles he talks to me about, I know that he enjoys them to the point where he tries to learn the Japanese language to understand them better. He likes to buy toy figures of these shows, and even dresses up like characters from the animations, even cross-dressing. He also buys games with the same art style and language as the shows.

While I am not against what my son is doing entirely, I want to know more about what he is doing and this culture.

Something that may be unrelated, he also bought this red flag with a hammer and sickle and sings communist songs. Does this relate to the Japanese shows?