Are bidets actual toilets, or just butt cleaners?

Are they both, or just add-ons to actual toilets?

Update:

That "bidet attachment for toilet" is exactly why I was asking. One group says that bidets are all you need to flush your waste, while another says they only do half the work needed.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

Traditionally, some bathrooms in less-expensive homes or hotel rooms in Europe did not have bathtubs or showers, only toilets and sinks. The bidet was often just a narrow basin on a metal frame. You put a few inches of water in, straddled the bidet, washed your crotch area, and then emptied the water into the toilet. Sponge baths took care of the rest of you.

I've seen bidets in American homes, too. Usually they have hot and cold water faucets, and drains. They can be handy if it's not convenient to take a full bath or shower.

In Japan, you sometimes see very fancy toilet fixtures that can be programmed to wash your bottom with warm water, rinse you off, and even dry you with warm air. Never tried those features, though – the instructions were all in Japanese. At least the flush button was pretty obvious. Their old-fashioned toilets are long, flat basins on the floor. I thought I'd found a better alternative marked "for handicapped", but the only concession to handicapped people was a vertical handhold to help them get up or down.

• 1 year ago

You dont actually need a toilet at all, if you think about it. Between the waste basket and the open drain in the bathtub, you can get most of the solid waste gone one way or the other. You can pee in the sink too. Then you can shower your bum clean or wash up in the sink if youre in a hurry. A launderable rag is all you need, or your girlfriend or roommates loofa will work too.

• roger
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You can get a bidet attachment for a toilet.

Like this

https://www.amazon.com/Luxe-Bidet-Neo-120-Non-Elec...

it works well and combines both features. Very nice.

• Edwena
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Bidets are for people who do not take showers and baths on a frequent basis. The step up is a daily shower. Americans bathe frequently (daily) and therefore the bidet is not a necessary appliance.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Bidets are primarily used to wash and clean the genitalia, perineum, inner buttocks, and anus. Traditional designs may also be used to clean any other part of the human body, such as the feet. Despite appearing similar to a toilet, a traditional bidet may be more accurately compared to a sink.

• 1 year ago

Bidets are not intended to be used as toilets. They are intended for personal hygiene, for washing your butt or other nearby bits that might benefit from freshening up.

Some countries, notably Japan, use heated water-jet bidet systems built into toilet pans to clean themselves routinely after using the toilet. They are more effective than toilet tissue and avoid the social resistance in some places to touching areas thought to be 'unclean'.

• 1 year ago

Stand alone bidets are just a low slung wash basin. Useful for butt, feet or cooling drinks. But as I've seen (at least in movies) americans pissing into wash basins, I wouldn't be too surprised if they also used bidets for that.

On the other hand, there also are toilets with bidet heads built in.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.