Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 year ago

Basil leaf question?

Does anyone know how to store fresh basil leaves? I started a herb garden outside and I have two sizable basil plants, however due to a number of circumstances I barely used any of the leaves. Can I dry them in a dehydrator? Can I freeze them? What can I do with them?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Cut some basil branches and hang upside down indoors until they dry out. Then, simply crumple the plant up, minus the stems, over a paper plate and store in an airtight jar. No need for a dehydrator.

You can make fresh pesto and freeze some.

You can chop some fresh basil and fill an ice cube tray with the chopped basil, to which you cover with a tablespoon of olive oil. After the cubes freeze, store in a zip lock bag and use one or two at a time in your sauces, pasta, and soups all winter long. There is nothing like a "basil ice cube" placed in a cup of steaming hot tomato soup!! Or, thrown over hot pasta with some shaved parmesan cheese.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

Seriously, do anything you want. Dehydrator, hang it to dry, freeze it. Basil is one of those plants that grows itself. It bolts to seed at the drop of a hat - scattering them all over the place. I have basil growing all over, in pots in the ground, in the rain gutters. If you can't grow basil, you can't grow anything.

I have taken to grabbing handfuls of basil, creeping thyme and oregano from my herb garden, chopping them fine with a cleaver and throwing the mix into whatever I am cooling. The leftovers I fold into a coffee filter and set on top of the microwave to dry.

Oregano and creeping thyme are also ridiculously easy to grow to the point where they can become invasive.

• 1 year ago

I pesto it up with rocket. Give it away. You can chop it up and freeze, but eh, not the same. Trick is to change your thinking. If you don't use a lot now, why go nuts preserving it? Grow it, use what you use, if you end up with a glut that's not utilised for eating then chuck it in the compost and feel good that it's still value adding to your overall food production.

• 1 year ago

Do not use a dehydrator. Just hang upside down in a dry place and store in a glass, air tight jar.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Rinse them and freeze them in a ziplock. I do it. I also make fresh pesto and freeze that. I also have huge, wonderful basil plants.

• Retief
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

You can dry them in a dehydrator or just by hanging them in a bunch in a dry place out of direct sunlight.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.