Are there laws that keep senior citizens from getting ripped off by contractors?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • Ronnie
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

There is, check with the state attorney generals office.

• no more so than for the general public

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

There are laws that keep everybody from being ripped off by contractors.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

No, old people should take advice from younger relatives and have them present when contractors turn up for work. The very reason the travelling community travel is because they make a living off ripping people off and then run away before they get too noticed by the cops, there is nothing to stop them putting adverts up with untraceable mobile numbers, doing shoddy jobs and moving on, the old person will realise they did a crap job but still pay because they are scared of the tattooed pikeys, if they won't swallow their pride and accept they can't organise this alone when they are frail.

• Edna
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Good Lord! "Old people" don't need advice from younger relatives. You might be surprised to learn, but "old people" aren't as stupid as you seem to think they are.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

believe it or not, confirmation of what i've always said - in life you seem to have the time or the money, rarely both together. that means many old people,especially retired are much more savvy than others about their rights, local scams and rip offs. no laws that i can think of offhand but age discrimination in reality rife in uk.

• 1 year ago

Nope

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Yes.

• 1 year ago

You can do either one of two things: don't hire any or hire them and not pay them, the second is what I usually do.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Yes there sure is ask an attorney about it

• 1 year ago

I'm not sure what the laws are state by state, but I would definitely contact the Better Business Bureau and let them know as well as the local police.

• Sur La Mer
      Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Just because no one made a complaint, or a member of BBB, doesn't mean they're LEGIT.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.