Why are Self-Service Gas Stations forbidden in New Jersey?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 year ago

Main reason given officially is safety- the fire hazards of spilled gasoline from improper use of nozzles, bad grips and sloppy handling, lack of knowledge of emergency shutoffs, fire drills at the station. second is payment from self fill and drive off bad for business. New Jersey Fire Marshall or town Fire depts has some stats about fires in some other states with self service and the New Jersey insurance commission statistics do back up the fire safety issue especially with equipment used. Job security is minor issue- safety more politically correct and a actual example or 2 can be a argument stopper for the people that want 2 cents a gallon cheaper fuel.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 year ago

For safety reasons.

• 1 year ago

It has to do with an old law from the 1930's about collusion between fuel companies and letting the general public operate equipment. It's quite archaic and silly really. People in Jersey are used to it and something like 50% don't want to or know how to operate a gas pump - "I'm a Jersey Girl. I don't pump my own gas!"

• whcach
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Job's, safety. and are you going to clean your windshield.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

For safety reasons.

• 1 year ago

It was an attempt at keeping some humans employed. More staff at the place also reduced crime.

$$$$$ rules in other places.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I don't know. In Oregon there is no self-service. Takes getting used to, but the pumpers are surprisingly quick. This was done for the jobs mainly. And I suppose it does provide some sort of basis for a safety net.

• 1 year ago

There have been some odd laws trying to preserve jobs that are outmoded. At one time, teens worked at gas stations pumping gas. When self-service stations came into being, some people thought they were eliminating jobs, so they passed laws. But now teens in most states work in air-conditioned malls in the food court.

• 1 year ago

The reason why self-service gas stations are forbidden in New Jersey because I think the governor of New Jersey has seen a customer at a self-service gas station turning the gas nozzle like a key and that is not a proper way to insert the gas nozzle and turning the gas nozzle like a key can break the gas nozzle which destruction of a property which is not good so that's why self-service gas stations are forbidden in New Jersey.

• Lv 7
      1 year agoReport

Eh yeah? U R always watching.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.