Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsOther - Electronics · 2 years ago

I just bought my first microwave and 4cu fridge for my room. Have a few safety questions?

My microwave is only 700watts and my fridge is a large mini fridge not the teeny ones. Can I stack the microwave on top of my fridge and plug them both into the same outlet. The booklet says not to but they're so low powered and I only have a few outlets in my bedroom. I'm pretty sure everything is on the same circuit anyways.

Is there anything else I should know? My ps4 is going to be plugged into the neighbouring outlet and my computer in the 3rd outlet. I'm pretty sure everything is on the same circuit =( apart from not having power possibly I'm not in danger right?

Sorry these are probably dumb questions I'm just starting college and buying a ton of stuff I've never owned before.

check the amperage on the devices and the outletthat will be fine

Your uW is not going to blow the breaker when you are gone, It only operates when you are there.

If it blows the breaker often then move it to another plug. Find out how many breakers you have in your apartment.

• y

Is the outlet 15 or 20 amps, should have it on the outlet itself, and hopefully it was wired properly. 700 watts is about 6 amps, watts divided by volts(120 in this case) equals amps. How many amps does that little fridge draw?

You are right, one should not be putting two appliances like that on one circuit, bit sometimes one has no choice. If everything is wired properly, the worst that will happen is blowing a fuse/tripping a breaker and such. The you'll certainly know, one way or the other.

• GTB

A 15 amp 120 v breaker will take a max of 1,800 watts and should not be used for over 80% of max or 1,440 watts. A 20 amp 120 v breaker will take a max of 2,400 watts and should not be used for over 80% or max or 1,920 watts. This max is the max for ALL devices on the circuit. If you have a 15 amp breaker and only the microwave and refrig on the circuit, the max refrig watts should be 1,440 - 700 = 740 amps (6.17 amp); if you have a 20 amp breaker and only the microwave and refrig on the circuit, the max refrig watts should be 1,920-700 = 1,220 watt. Use this information with caution; make sure you know the circuit and all that is on that circuit - keep in mind that the ceiling light and outlets outside that room may also be on the circuit.

Put the microwave in another outlet.

• Edwena

Take the microwave back and upgrade to 1100 watts. Everything is made for 1100 watts and 700 will only mess up your cooking times, etc. Leave your PS4 at home, because you will flunk out if you waste your time on it. You are supposed to study. Turn off your computer when you run the microwave, if you have to. You might be OK if you have a 20 amp circuit. Look at the circuit breaker as to what size it is. You need to grow up and get rid of your gaming addiction now. You only get one chance to prove yourself and this is it.

your PS4 and computer need a surge suppressor or [better yet] a UPS. the typical "room" circuit is rated for 15 amps or 1800 watts, so, as long as you're not sharing with someone else [like someone who has a hot plate in their room?], you should be good.

Note that hair dryers are huge power users -- fortunately, you're unlikely to be using the microwave and a hair dryer at the same time. [keep it that way]

Source(s): grampa