Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 year ago

why do Americans take so many more medications than people in Europe and elsewhere?

and how has this increased or decreased in past 20 years? again, why?

Also, I noticed that many of the drugs people take are advised by their doctors, is this kind of a scheme/scam set up by law or what? and the drugs they take are for things that I think could be remedied by simply eating a healthy diet and exercise......but why americans rather take pills?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

The AMA and pharmaceutical companies want to keep America addicted to their drugs. They are getting rich. Who cares if their drugs cause cancer, shorten lifespan, and psychotic behavior. They have a nice little racket, especially with insurance providing a guaranteed payment. Keep eating those double half pounder bacon cheeseburgers, with a 2 quart milkshake. The drug companies have a pill to keep you alive (at least for few years).

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Sexy man

• Login to reply the answers
  • ALBERT
    Lv 4
    1 year ago

Basically they are led to believe lies: that medications are the solution to any health problems. Few people tells them about the vicious circle of side effects...

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Societal norms

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 year ago

Depends on what meds youre talking about. It could be anti Depressents, most of children here now adays hate life :v

• 1 year ago

been brainwashed

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I always assumed they 'stocked up' in an effort to avoid expensive multiple visits to doctors. I agree, though--I noticed it when I worked in tourism. Elderly Germans and most Brits were active, generally 'with it', and would walk briskly. The older American tourists seemed far more decrepit, had a more 'drugged up' appearance, and were also more confused when spoken to. They hated to even attempt a small walk; some even refused to get off the shuttle because they had to walk a few hundred yards. If someone refused to get out to see an attraction, it was ALWAYS an elderley American.

• 1 year agoReport

I think it also has to do with the American diet of fat and fries ...they don't eat much vegetables and Europeans do. so they are always feeling lethargic and fat

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Pharmaceutical sales reps basically bribe doctors. They offer trips and cars etc to those who write the highest number of prescriptions. They engage in a lot of shady activity to encourage doctors to prescribe their drugs. This is enabled by the insurance companies, which would rather pay for a few pills that may not work than for more expensive and longer term treatments that do actually work.

• k w
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

then lean on the doctors to fix almost everything, instead of knowing themselves, what works at home and what don't,

AND they think other type of doctoring is junk, they just don't know.......

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

I think it's because of our high pressure lifestyles. We are breed to work hard and sacrifice for the wealthy, stress induced illnesses are common in America. Anything from heart disease to mental health/chemical dependency issues are all common here.

• 1 year agoReport

why isn't that way in Europe you think?

• Satan
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Doctors get a percentage for medications they prescribe

Once you know this simple truth, it suddenly all slots into place!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.