Should I be held responsible for him having to replace floor tiles?

I work for a maintenance man at a large housing complex. I clean the empty units while he makes repairs and pains and all that kind of thing. He pays me out of his weekly check for the work. About a week ago..i was cleaning a unit. He had not told me that the pipes under the kitchen sink was not connected. I... show more I work for a maintenance man at a large housing complex. I clean the empty units while he makes repairs and pains and all that kind of thing. He pays me out of his weekly check for the work. About a week ago..i was cleaning a unit. He had not told me that the pipes under the kitchen sink was not connected. I emptied a bucket of water down the drain. It splashed on the bottom of the cabinet and quickly disappeared under the wood. I dried up as much as I could, but the rest of the water escaped under the wooden cabinet. I told him that he needed to remove the floor of the cabinet for me to get to the water and finish drying it up. He said it was too much trouble and the water would evaporate. It didn't. It soaked through, causing wood to expand, and pushing tiles up. He had to replace 7 tiles and the wood under it. I couldn't mop the floor while he was working. Plus he had a dishwasher and a hot water tank in the middle of the floor. I went to the unit today to mop, which was all that was left for me to do. He said he had mopped already, and was refusing to pay me. At first he said it was cause I didn't finish the work, and then he said he had to replace the floor cause of me. Can he keep my money?
Update: I talked to his wife. She sent him to me to pay me. She was in agreement that it was his fault for first not telling me about the pipe under the sink, and secondly, not wanting to take the time to pull up the floor of the cabinet so that I could dry the water up that was under it.