My oven smells like gas when i turn it on, what should i do?

My vacation house has an oven that takes a long time to cook in. Sometimes it smells like gas other times it doesn't. Just turned it on to make brownies and immediately the whole house smells like gas. I opened windows so the smell would go away but when i opened the oven to put the brownies in my eyes started... show more My vacation house has an oven that takes a long time to cook in. Sometimes it smells like gas other times it doesn't. Just turned it on to make brownies and immediately the whole house smells like gas. I opened windows so the smell would go away but when i opened the oven to put the brownies in my eyes started to burn. Should i turn the oven off even though it does this sometimes? Even if i don't turn it off is it bad to eat the brownies that were surrounded in gas?
Update: also this oven isn't old. The house was built five years ago so the oven is also five years old
Update 2: Okay we cooked the brownies and ate them anyways but thanks for all the good answers. I’ll get it checked out