Is carpeting supposed to be replaced every ten years in a rental?

I googled this and found several places saying every ten years a landlord should replace the carpet. My wife & I have rented now for 14 years, & the carpet has never been replaced. It was far from new when we moved in. I asked the landlady to replace it & she's just ignored us. What should we do,... show more I googled this and found several places saying every ten years a landlord should replace the carpet. My wife & I have rented now for 14 years, & the carpet has never been replaced. It was far from new when we moved in. I asked the landlady to replace it & she's just ignored us. What should we do, we'd like to have new carpeting.
Update: Forgot to add we live in California if that makes any difference with this question.
Update 2: It would be expensive for us to buy new carpeting & have it installed. We would not be able to take wall to wall carpeting with us when we move.