Anonymous

What are the winters like in Amherst, Massachusetts for a college student?

I am considering an exchange to UMass Amherst for the Spring semester but I am unsure if the winter weather will affect my experience. I go to to school where there is snow but I don't know if the winter in MA will be so bad that I won't be able to go out or do much except be locked up in my room lol.

I've heard mixed things about the winter there. A friend that lives in boston said it wasn't that bad.

I went for an interview at Tufts and immediately decided that there was NO WAY I could live in Boston (I was from Philadelphia, by the way; I wasn't some hothouse flower). So IMO, really bad, but that doesn't mean you'll feel the same way.

Some winters are worse than others! You could be dorm-bound/campus-bound for a couple of days in a big blizzard, or just deal with a few months of freezing weather with intermittent snow storms. There may also be intermittent thaws. Staying on campus, it won't be too bad. You do need to keep track of weather reports. You could have a nice thaw in February, and then a series of storms through March & into April. No guarantees what kind of winter you'll have. Be prepared!

Just make sure you have very warm winter clothing, and wear layers of clothes. Shirt, sweater, parka or coat, scarf, hat, gloves, warm pants, warm socks, and boots are the minimum. If you want to participate in winter sports, you'll need more, such as silk thermal underwear (silk is warmer & less bulky, but expensive).