Can my sons father get out of paying child support?

My sons father and I are trying to come to a custody agreement outside of court. Out of everything in the papers the only thing he seems concerned about is child support. He’s never complained about the time he could get with our son or anything having to do with our son directly, just child support. He claims... show more My sons father and I are trying to come to a custody agreement outside of court. Out of everything in the papers the only thing he seems concerned about is child support. He’s never complained about the time he could get with our son or anything having to do with our son directly, just child support. He claims “it’s not about the money” yet that’s all he ever brings up. He says he wants it to be by state law not “your law”. I haven’t asked for anything other than what’s being calculated by Alabama state law so he’s just being an idiot at this point and trying to make it sound like I’m being shady. He doesn’t even know yet what amount he will have to pay and neither do I. So it’s been made clear on his end if he believes what the state is saying ends up being too much for his liking we’ll go to court. He just doesn’t want to have to pay anything unless he gets a choice on the amount himself. If we were to go to court what’s the possibility that a judge would say you don’t have to pay that amount even if it’s based off of state calculations and nothing else? I don’t want to waste my time and money on having papers drawn up if he already plans on turning it down
24 answers 24