lisa asked in PetsReptiles · 2 years ago

what does it mean when a sac of fluid hangs from the ****/pea hole of a young sulcate tortoise? my sister thinks it is a membrane sac?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

it may be inverted bladder. better see a vet.

• 2 years ago

The term you're looking for is cloaca. And take the turtle to the vet. Don't try to get a diagnosis from random strangers on the internet.

• Thea
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I was not going to respond as Oikoo already correctly stated that it is a prolapse and requires immediate medical attention.

The tissue was described as coming out of the vent. Egg yolk sacs are attached to the plastron ( the bottom shell). If you wait for this tissue to "fall off" it will almost definitely kill your tortoise.

• 2 years ago

egg sack, common on very very young turtles, falls off eventually but is a source of food. To all you water turtle lovers, turtles need fish/bone etc small minnows,guppies and or goldfish for larger turtles. Part of their diet is bone/calcium for their shells. Live food great but I used to freeze small fish and drop a few in. Important--- Softshells are very hard to keep and should be released. Webbed foot/water turtle/ like painters need a basking log, not stone, stone does not heat and will promote a bottom shell cancer. It is also important to have an actual reptile light, normal household lights cause blindness over the years. Much easier to have a tortoise then water turtle, trust me. Learned a lot from one of the most knowledgeable turtle experts/ B. Russo in the world, guy used to perform surgery at the zoo on turtles. I never fed a water turtle vegetables like somebody posted above.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

It's called a prolapse. Contact a reptile vet immediately.

• 2 years ago

You will find lots of helpful answers on other forums. search up 'reptile forums' and ask the question on there. most of us down own tortoises here x

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.