lisa asked in PetsReptiles · 2 years ago

what does it mean when a sac of fluid hangs from the ****/pea hole of a young sulcate tortoise? my sister thinks it is a membrane sac?

it may be inverted bladder. better see a vet.

The term you're looking for is cloaca. And take the turtle to the vet. Don't try to get a diagnosis from random strangers on the internet.

• Thea

I was not going to respond as Oikoo already correctly stated that it is a prolapse and requires immediate medical attention.

The tissue was described as coming out of the vent. Egg yolk sacs are attached to the plastron ( the bottom shell). If you wait for this tissue to "fall off" it will almost definitely kill your tortoise.

egg sack, common on very very young turtles, falls off eventually but is a source of food. To all you water turtle lovers, turtles need fish/bone etc small minnows,guppies and or goldfish for larger turtles. Part of their diet is bone/calcium for their shells. Live food great but I used to freeze small fish and drop a few in. Important--- Softshells are very hard to keep and should be released. Webbed foot/water turtle/ like painters need a basking log, not stone, stone does not heat and will promote a bottom shell cancer. It is also important to have an actual reptile light, normal household lights cause blindness over the years. Much easier to have a tortoise then water turtle, trust me. Learned a lot from one of the most knowledgeable turtle experts/ B. Russo in the world, guy used to perform surgery at the zoo on turtles. I never fed a water turtle vegetables like somebody posted above.

It's called a prolapse. Contact a reptile vet immediately.

You will find lots of helpful answers on other forums. search up 'reptile forums' and ask the question on there. most of us down own tortoises here x