Mom trying to control my college education?

So I am 23 years old and a married college student. I’m trying to get a degree in art, but my mom is WAY overbearing with trying to help me! Yesterday, for example, she tried logging into my registration account with the password many times, getting me locked out of my account where I had to go on campus to fix it. Immediately after fixing it she tried it again and got me locked out again!!! She studies available classes in the wee hours of the night and then tries to hassle me in the day to take the classes SHE WANTS. And when I tell her classes I want she picks them apart and goes on and on why that’s a bad idea. She tells me i should take this math class not that one, for example tho they’re the same class just different teachers, and says just ask your husband, he probably will like my class idea better. She says as though I should get permission from my husband for classes, but the only one whom my classes concern are ME, and my husband knows this. It makes my husband furious because she only constantly hassles me when he’s at work and not around. What do I do, and what could I say to my mother? It just makes my college experience feel crappy.

• Linda

Since you are an adult and married - your education is NONE of her business.

Do NOT give your mother your password.

• Jerry

YOU ARE A MARRIED ADULT, tell your mother in no uncertain terms to back the hell off!! You may have to go so far as to cut off contact with her. Change your username and password, NO NOT give that info to her. It's NONE of her business.

you probably need to find another place to live so she cant control you like that

I looked at your other questions and you need to simplify all of this. By far, the the biggest issue is you're living with mom because the 2 of you can't afford your own place. Therefore, she can look at any computer she wants. It doesn't matter if your husband gets mad at her. He is a guest in her home and she knows it.

Everything boils down to choices. Your choice here is to suck it up and deal with it, or else move out. Moving out might mean giving up a couple things that matter. Does your husband work full time? Are you bringing in any income? If the answer to either of these is no, then as a couple, you aren't generating enough money. What if you scaled back to part time classes and found a way to make money? Yes, San Diego is expensive but so are lots of cities. A married couple should be able to afford a decent 1 bedroom if they're both working.

If you're not willing to do this, fine. But then you've made a choice to stay with mom. And, having made that choice, you can't complain about it, because you did have another option.

Tell her: "No, bad girl!"

Source(s): Any dog owner who has a disobedient dog
  • MARIAN

Definitely listen to Merlin's advice! It's respectful and will help you be at peace. She'll have to learn to deal with it!

Why is your mother SO involved?

you are married, and mature student

she shouldnt have ANY say in your life, let alone meddling to this degree

How did she get your signing in details?

SO many questions

Ask your college for a new email & sign in details, tell them your account has been compromised and dont tell her what they are. That stops her snooping

When she tries to give you advice, say "i appreciate your views, I will take them into consideration thank you"

when she then tries to tell you something else, repeat "i appreciate your views, I will take them into consideration thank you"

and keep rolling out the exact same stock phrase until she tires

you REALLY need to regain control of your own life, for your sake but your husbands as well, he will be fed up of her meddling

If you are mature enough to be married, you're mature enough to move out and pay your own way in life. Problem solved.