Didn’t know I owed money and it’s showing on my credit report?

I had a rough patch in my life last year & couldn’t find a job after losing mine. I had to turn in my car since I could no longer pay it. I thought it was all settled. I moved out of my roommate’s home last year too and went back over the course of a few months to pick up my stuff little by little. Everytime I... show more I had a rough patch in my life last year & couldn’t find a job after losing mine. I had to turn in my car since I could no longer pay it. I thought it was all settled. I moved out of my roommate’s home last year too and went back over the course of a few months to pick up my stuff little by little. Everytime I went back, I asked if I had any mail and they claimed not to. I thought it was odd but I changed my address for all of my stuff so I didn’t think much of it. I never changed my address for my car company since I figured it was all settled after turning it in. I just checked my credit report and my former car finance company shows I have a balance of $2,000 to pay. It says “failed to pay” for every month since last year. I had no idea I owed them anything & it has affected my credit score. My roommates never gave me any of my mail. Is there anything I can do about this? Can I dispute all of these “failed to pay” since I didn’t know or is it my fault?