Anonymous

Is the term “goy” a slur?

Is it derogatory? I’ve only heard this term with a sneer or with jews seemingly playfully referring to their non-jewish friends as such. “Gentile” seems more respectful.

• Favorite Answer

It's yiddish, taken from Hebrew. I was a goya girl at a synagogue in my early 20s. I went to the synagogue to unlock the doors, turn on the lights and the elevator and feed the little kids - all thing the adult orthodox Jews good not do. It can be used as an insult as most words can, but it is nota slur in an of itself. It just means you are not Jewish are not practicing a Jewisgh custom.

• BMCR

No, it is not.

It is not necessarily a slur. It originally comes from the Hebrew word for "foreign country" or a resident of a foreign country. The Yiddish language used the word to refer to a person who is not Jewish.

• reme_1

it is a slur but not sure it is as bad as some of the terms we hear on this GAY SECTION.

That word is so old hardly anyone

would ėvėn know what it means anymore

I've never hėàrd that used & I'm almost ☠ 30!