Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 years ago

Why did a real god give us free will, and then tell humans to kill the humans who didn't practice their free will the correct way?

Yes. I know. "You're no longer bound to the old testament to execute sinners"

But that doesn't negate the fact that there WAS a period in which it was said that a real god told humans to do that.

This is a 2 level question.

First, why did he give us free will, only to have us executed over it.

And second, why did he have to rely on humans to execute them, instead of just executing people on the spot as they sinned, since he did want them dead?

🤔

Update:

I predict you might say, "he gave us free will, but that doesn't mean we can do whatever we want!"

That's fine, but we are talking PETTY offenses, like having gay sex, practicing a different religion, picking up sticks on the Sabbath, etc.

I mean we have laws in our system, but we don't say every crime equals the death penalty!

And I still gotta wonder why he needed humans to dish out the "justice" to those we catch, instead of him just dishing it out to the ones who wouldn't get caught

🤔

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Because those cultures not only turned their backs on Him, but were sacrificing babies and children to baal. They weren't executed, they were destroyed in hopes that other cultures would stop slaughtering babies.

• 2 years ago

"Why did a real god give us free will, and then tell humans to kill the humans who didn't practice their free will the correct way?" Actually, that was not universally true, dear one. Many infractions resulted in fines, not in execution But the fact remains that we execute murderers today -- or we ought to. It slows down the corruption of society. Some people just won't behave in civilized manners and pose a danger to society. That has to be stopped, even at the cost of life sometimes.

"First, why did he give us free will, only to have us executed over it." Everything we do has consequences, Einstein. And some behaviors are too popular to have around.

"And second, why did he have to rely on humans to execute them, instead of just executing people on the spot as they sinned, since he did want them dead?" At least with human beings, one gets a trial, silly. We would all be very sorry indeed if justice were immediate -- even more so if it were proactive.

Besides, God never does what man can and should do for himself. He leaves it up to us as an exercise.

"That's fine, but we are talking PETTY offenses, like having gay sex, practicing a different religion, picking up sticks on the Sabbath, etc." No, we're not, Einstein. Having gay sex is a huge thing, not a petty one. It's like adultery in that respect. The only way that God could convince a harsh rabble of murderous slaves not to have gay sex or commit adultery was to make them capital offenses. The idea is that today we're more interested in conscience and reclaiming the sinner, and won't lend ourselves to such dissipation.

You might halfway have a point when you refer to picking up sticks on the Sabbath. But the Lord didn't want to let the camel get his nose in the tent, so to speak.

"I mean we have laws in our system, but we don't say every crime equals the death penalty!" Neither did the Law, Einstein. I get the idea that you're spin doctoring what you present to us.

"And I still gotta wonder why he needed humans to dish out the "justice" to those we catch, instead of him just dishing it out to the ones who wouldn't get caught" I already answered this, dear one. He leaves everything that we can and should do up to us. He doesn't need the experience. He's already God. WE need the experience of taking care of ourselves and building a healthy society.

• User
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Because

in that society and culture

life imprisonment of murderers was neither practical nor affordable nor safe for that society.

So: legal execution was the best way in that particular society at that particular time to protect that society from murderers.

• Archer
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Mankind created the 'gods' and the gods mirror the insecurities of man.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

I'm a Atheist but to answer your question in a christian manner.

But that doesn't negate the fact that there WAS a period in which it was said that a real god told humans to do that.

Because Moses told them so, and people view Moses as some king or God's chosen person, so what he said must be just, because he was the only person God had talked too. Also because humans are sinners and did not understand the bible truly.

(Something some christian would say)

And second, why did he have to rely on humans to execute them, instead of just executing people on the spot as they sinned, since he did want them dead?

He did kill humans, With the flood, when Noah was there. He was also going to kill hundreds of people until Moses convince him not too. Also He didn't kill them on the spot because he loved him and wanted them to repent. Which is why God has grace. (Something like that, I was a christian so I know exactly what one would say, but not anymore because there is no God and a fake story)

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

You think Charles Manson should have been allowed to run around free because locking him up was taking away his constitutional rights? Have you considered that he might be forfeiting those rights when he started killing people?

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

It's fiction. None of that ever happened. God never killed anyone. People have.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.