Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 years ago

Donald Trump's tariffs hurt American workers and ruin relationships with our allies. So why do his supporters think this is a good thing?

Last week, President Trump imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum imported from Canada, Mexico and the European Union. He claims the move will strengthen national security.

He's dead wrong. The tariffs will weaken the United States, protect jobs in inefficient industries while preventing job growth in efficient ones, and harm relationships with our allies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/06/06/...

14 Answers

Relevance
  • They like to ignore facts

• 2 years ago

The rest of the world sold something like $680 billion of goods into the United States while they meantime imposed restrictions with tariffs against American goods. Why are these countries called friends? American manufacturing has all but disappeared thanks to other countries.

• Dale
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

So your argument is bases on what you believe the tariffs will do in a future hypothetical situation but you say that Trump is dead wrong. Where is your proof?

• Jay R
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

This is called a long con. It will take time for T's scam to pay off, but his uberrich ghouls can wait.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Both Obama and Hillary admitted to the fact, that there is an issue with our current trade agreements. Do you agree with them or do you believe they are fine? If you agree with them, what was Clinton's plan for addressing the issue. We know that Obama didn't have one becouse he never tried to address them. Would you have preferred Trump ignore the issue or address the issue and how should he go about it? I hear/see a lot of bashing but I don't hear/see many solutions.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

And just why would the U.S. presy care?

Just like the previous incumbent, this one also works for the donor class! What's good for the donor class WILL happen.

Donors want mega profits. Mega profits = serf labor.

Hence in comparison U.S. workers are overpaid. Cutting into the profit margins. How can those who run the shebang survive on a mere $00,000,000?

Allies? U.S. doesn't have allies. U.S. has doormats! It's well know if they don't do as U.S. says, oops, no cooperation on imminent Sunni jihadists attacks. Hence those "allies" DON'T stand up for their own workers best interests.

Security? After 9/11?

Lack of security isn't a problem, not for the DONOR class.

And since U.S. is less interested in targeting Sunni salafist Wahhabi Al Qaeda and its numerous knockoffs, forever rebranding to disguise their true roots, then fighting Iran, Russia and China etc, security is just the window dressing used to get the expenditure that the donor class wants!

The voters ARE dunces, willfully uninformed, glorifying in their meaningless jingoism of U.S. is exceptional humbug.

His supporters are like all those voters who refuse to accept the obvious, republicans/ democrats DON'T represent the will of the masses but the donor class.

Nothing like wall to wall propaganda to keep them PERMANENTLY brainwashed.

Touching how this "rag" now cares about workers! ONLY because it hates Trump. War is the favorite topic of the neoliberalism lot which has delivered handsomely, for them!

One side calls it tariffs, the other subsidies. Any idea U.S. DON'T play the same game is a myth.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=60FrsWm9OAc

Could the truth be capitalism is imploding 1929 style, as all the regulations out in place to save it from itself, no longer exist?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=60FrsWm9OAc

• 2 years ago

Geez, I always thought Liberals always loved it when the Federal government takes in more tax money. Could it be that Liberals are finally learning that increased taxes can seriously hurt an economy? I do hope this is something they have now learned.

In the USA in the mid and late 1800s, there was a man named John D. Rockefeller who owned an oil company named "Standard Oil". In the beginning, he was one of many who owned some oil wells and a refinery or two, and sold kerosene to people so that they could fuel their kerosene lamps and burn kerosene for heat, etc. But he had a penchant for accumulating power and wealth, and so he would drop the price of his kerosene below what it cost to produce in a certain local area, but leave the price higher in the rest of his sales territory. The dirt poor low price of kerosene would drive the other kerosene provider in that area into bankruptcy, and then he would move on to his next kerosene producing victim, over and over, as he accumulated more and more of the market. Eventually, he became the sole provider of kerosene to the USA, to the point that the Federal Government had to intervene and break up his monopoly by force.

In the last 20 years or so, the Chinese have increasingly been producing steel, with their steel production climbing from around 10% up to almost 50% of world steel production. And they have been selling (dumping) this steel on the world market at below the cost of producing it. This has forced many smaller steel producers around the world into bankruptcy, including companies in the USA. If you are ok with this behavior, then fine, I guess. We will count on the Chinese to supply us with all of our steel needs, for making our cars and trucks and ships and buildings and military tanks, etc. with Chinese steel.

But Donald Trump thinks it would be smarter to keep the American steel industry alive, and employing American workers. I agree with him on this.

It seems that we have a trade deficit with every country in the G7 (except Canada). Trump thinks these trade deficits are unfair to the US worker, and they need to stop. Americans need jobs just like everybody else. It is time for the USA to stop being everybody's Patsy on trade. Trump's tariffs are likely only temporary, to use as bargaining chips to negotiate fairer trade agreements with previously predatory nations on trade. I like it. (But I wish he was not so harsh on Canada, since we have no significant trade deficit with them.)

• 2 years ago

Yes , we realize that the Libs would prefer to give the upper hand to all our foreign trading partners .

Myself , I am one that believe the US needs to maintain the ability to produce it's own steel and aluminum rather than to be dependent on foreign suppliers .

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

They see only "AMERICA FIRST" in big letters, before their eyes. So, crap on the rest of the world.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Trump supporters are Brain Dead on these Fiscal Issues.

Remember about lowering the USA Debt? Lowering the USA Annual Deficit? Free Trade across the Planet? Basic, GOP platform stuff before Trump sheep.......

30-second Elevator Speech type folk... It's just amazing what we are witnessing today in America.......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.