Could you still get pregnant right after your period?

Okay, my boyfriend & I have been trying to have a baby. We decided to try in the month of June & July. We had sex 3 days in a row and he did not pull out. He is a exchange student. Therefore, I do not get to see him often. I went to the Dominican Republic to spend 3 weeks with him. Every time we had sex, he never pulled out. Once, I got back from vacation I got my period. I don’t understand what are my chances at this point. Help?

• Shay
    Favorite Answer

You'll need to have more sex after the period. The period means not pregnant and no chance of pregnancy until you ovulate again during this next cycle.

Ovulation happens about 14 days BEFORE the next expected period. Sperm can live in the uterus for up to five days. Having sex often between 12 to 20 days before the next period is usually the best time for conception to be successful.

The average couple tries for about one year before actually becoming pregnant. Even when everything happens at the right time, there is still a chance that the fertilized egg not successfully attach to the uterine wall.

• Edna

You began a menstrual period AFTER you got home from your vacation with your boyfriend and you haven't seen him since. Your chances of being pregnant now are zero.

Why are you trying to have a baby with your "boyfriend", to whom you're not married and whom you don't get to see often? I'm sorry, but I can't understand the mind-set of a female who wants to do that. If you love him and you think he would make a good father, then marry him first, and then try to have a baby.

If you have a baby with a guy who is just your "boyfriend", you have no way of being certain that he's going to stay with you for even 6 months after the baby is born. If he decides to walk out and leave you with a child to raise, what are you going to do then? -- you're not married to him.

Maybe.

I feel like yes you can get pregnant right after you have a periot . but i wwouldnt constantly try and have one if im not ready . babies are blessings but why would you keep trying god not gone send you what you want if you rushing it.

So you're deliberately trying to have a baby with a guy who can't be there for his own child?

Period = not pregnant - every time you have unprotected sex you have a 25% chance of pregnancy.

• Pippin

Having unprotected sex is not a guarantee of pregnancy. Even if you are fertile when you have sex, the statistical odds are only around 25% per cycle, and it takes most couples 3-6 cycles - and can take up to a year.

If you see him infrequently, your odds will likely be lower, but over time you have a good chance of pregnancy.

Not quite sure why you found it necessary to mention that he doesn't pull out. Do you think MOST men pull out? And given that you ARE trying to get pregnant, why would this even be an issue?

• helene

If you got your period after the last time you had sex with him, you did not get pregnant. You will not get pregnant unless you have sex again.

Sperm only live for a few days. An egg lives about ONE day. This is what you're up against. It was possible to get lucky first bat out of the hat, but it didn't happen.

• John P

Ranchmom1 seems not to have seen your question in the same way that I see it.

You seem to have had unprotected sex on many occasions in a 3 week time-frame. It would thus seem likely that you would get pregnant from all that unprotected sex.

There is no point in trying to state chances in terms of percentages, since pregnancy has only two states: 1] not pregnant; 2] 100% pregnant.

Once you have a period, it means you did not conceive.

You will need to try to conceive again in the future.

If he isn't in the country and isn't a citizen, you will most likely end up raising your child alone.