Kurt asked in HealthOther - Health · 2 years ago

So I have started donating plasma. ......?

Everything goes well there. It's not till after I get home like 20-40 minutes later I feel like garbage. I feel like I am going to puke. What am I doing wrong?

You are most likely experiencing either a citrate reaction or a mild vasovagal reaction.

Citric Acid is used to anticoagulate whole blood as the plasma is being separated for collection. Citrate binds free calcium, which may manifest clinically as nausea/vomiting, muscle spasm, mild tremors, etc. Increasing you intake of calcium containing foods/drinking milk the day before or soon after donation may help. Calcium supplements, including "Tums" antacids have also been shown to alleviate citrate reactions.

If you have experienced a vasovagal reaction, increasing fluid intake before donation may help. Studies have shown that as little as one glass of water immediately before whole blood or apheresis donations significantly decrease the incidence of a vast-vagal reaction.

Good Luck.

Source(s): Medical Director - regional volunteer blood center and compensated plasma center

Been ther, felt that. Try no caffeine beverages the night before and the morning of your gift! Don't go in dehydrated.

try drinking a full bottle of water before leaving the donation place, and have something with protein and sugar in it.

Possibly not

What are you doing after you donate? I'd suggest that next time, you let the people there know what happens to you when you get home, and see what they suggest.

My suggestion is that you spend more time in the canteen there. If you normally spend 10 minutes there, spend 20. If you normally only have one glass of juice, next time, also have some cookies. See if it helps.

Donating plasma when your body says don't