Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 2 years ago

How do I determine the equivalents of proton in a compound like succinic acid (C4H6O4) in order to calculate normality??

The question reads:

Succinic acid (C4H6O4) is a dicarboxylic acid with a variety of uses. When 472 g of succinic acid is mixed with water to fill a 2 L container, what is the normality of the [H+] in solution? (Assume full deprotonation)

I know that 472 g of succinic acid = 4 mol of succinic acid. But the answer in the back of my book says that from that, there's 8 equivalents of H+, which when you divide by 2, gives you normality.

But HOW did they determine that there's 8 eq of hydrogen ions in 4 moles of succinic acid when the formula says there's 6????

• Fern
    Favorite Answer

The question states that succinic acid is a dicarboxylic acid, which means that only two of the hydrogens are acidic. The other 4 hydrogens are not.

4 moles of succinic acid x 2 moles H+/ mole acidic acid = 8 moles of hydrogen ions or 8 equivalents.

Look at the structure of succinic acid at the following web site.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/substance/suc...