Why does my mom do this?

My mom is Christian, she tends to offend me all the time, she's got this book, 'Prayers and Demons', that has bible verses in them, as if she's reading the Bible, she says, she doesn't want to hear about us atheists, she got upset when I told her that Ariana Grande has a new song, called: God Is A Woman, she got offended, I let her know that Ariana is not a Christian, and she has the right to express how ever she wants to see God, not everyone has to go by and follow the Christian religion. Her God does not dictate, or she does not dictate how a person thinks everyone is allowed to think differently, etc, it's ridiculous? What can I do at this point? She shouldn't be allowed to be offending other people, but then she doesn't want to be offended.

Update:

And she's never read the whole Bible, she just believes in it, etc.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

One can't believe in something they know nothing about. If more people actually read the Bible they would leave the churches because they would realize that what is taught in the churches is not what the Bible really teaches.

Some just want to be told what they want to hear. (2 Timothy 4:3,4)

• 2 years ago

Thank God you have a mother that prays for you. Those prayers will be with saves you in the end.

• 2 years ago

Your mother offends you? How about how YOU are offending HER! You disrespect your Mom's beliefs, and disrespect the way she is attempting to raise you, her rebellious teenage daughter. How about you try to honor your mother by living according to her house rules.

• MARK
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

She sounds like a standard, typical Christian to me. She has no real idea what an atheist is. She lacks any knowledge of the Bible but regularly cites it. Like a typical Christian she feels she has the right to offend whoever and whenever she likes but she pleads special status not to be offended.

Some general advice. The word god refers to a kind of supernatural being some people believe in. It is not the proper name of anything and so you should write it with an initial lowercase letter 'g'.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

Ah, the great theologian and all around Vestal Virgin Ariana Grande believes in some kind of extinct feminist goddess like Hera or some Mesopotamia fertility goddess.

As if any of her theological ideas are worth a nickel.

Maybe your mom cares about you more than Ariana. Grande played a pretty good airhead on Nickelodeon. Do you really think she is any smarter than that?

• 2 years ago

U SHOULD BE OBEDIENT and cooperate and then things will get better.

• -
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Why do feel it necessary to aggravate your mother? Did you really need to tell her about Ariana Grande? No, you didn't. Your mommy acts the way she does because you act the way you do. What should you do? Stay away from her comes to mind.

• Kris
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

Your mom is very close-minded and believes her way is the only way. It sounds like nothing you say or do is going to change that about her. The only thing you can control is the way you react to her. I would just not engage in your mom's antics when she starts to be judgmental against you or others, or you can simply say "Mom, that's just not what I believe, everyone has a right to believe in what they want" and end it at that and don't give in.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

What you should do is leave your mom to her own beliefs and behavior. If she is offensive to people, then that is her choice to make, and she will have to deal with the consequences.

If you feel this behavior is wrong, don't do it. If you feel arguing is stupid, don't argue. If you don't want to be around her when she's preaching, kiss her goodbye and cut the visit short. You be responsible for you.

It's not your responsibility or your right to try and change your mom, to 'set her straight', or make her understand how to behave, or to try to get her to understand other people's beliefs. If anything, your resistance is only going to make her dig her heels in more.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Nothing you can do, she has her opinions and isn't about to change at this time in her life.

All you can do is avoid mentioning atheism or religion or anything else that she might disagree with.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.