hi
hi asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 2 years ago

If women are supposed to be fat, then does this mean that women in Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe aren't real women?

I often hear american women saying this such as

"women are supposed to be fat"

"real women have curves"

"big women are beautiful"

if such statements are true, then does that mean that women in Asia, Africa and Eastern Europe aren't real women? and if they are women ...are they ugly for not being big/fat?

Thank you.

I think you've been listening too much to 'body positivity' gurus. Yes, women are supposed to have a higher body fat % than men (because of obvious reasons), but that doesn't mean they're supposed to be fat.

Your premise is severely flawed. It is a known phenomenon that women's bodies have a higher fat composition. Particularly in the mammary area and the lower body i.e. butt and thighs. This is because fat produces estrogen. Ever notice how fat dudes have boobs? Yup, estrogen. I suggest you take some logic and critical thinking classes, because you're not really too sharp in that area.

• james

Depends Asian women for most are lighter bones. Small breasted. They do not carry as much blubber as American women do. African women are more likely to have big rumps. This is for water storage. Also bigger boned. This is best for walking or working out in the sun all day. Russian women do to cold weather need the blubber for insulation & survival threw the winter. European women are more lean but not as much as Asian women. They also have different feet. Made for walking long distance in a cooler land than Africa or Asia. Asian women more flat feet. Different tendons in the legs. Better for tree climbing & squatting before a fire cooking. These traits took a 100,000 years to develop. Then last came American women. From 1950 on they developed new hereditary traits. Wide bottomed to set in a office chair or on the couch in front of T.V. At this time the T.V. dinner came out & latter micro beaming meals. The car rose to power. Fast food sprang up so they can buy food for the family with out cooking. They are a hereditary miricale never before seen in history as how fast they adapted to the new life stile. So yes today. All that blubber is the natural look of the modern American lady.

• Jay R

You say you've heard American women say these things. Have you heard women from other countries say these things? You're comparing apples to oranges. Was this supposed to be a clever question?

ONE notorious male-basher HERE, a psychiatric case whose sexual frustration practically DRIPS off the screen (and it's becoming clearer as to WHY), says something profoundly stupid about what women are "supposed" to be, and all of a sudden YOU'RE posting "I often hear American women say"?

And you try to hook it up with actual things that some OTHER hurt-feelings idiots really DO say?

You're as illogical and disoriented as she is. And I'll tell you the same thing I've told her so many, many times.

YOUR nasty FEELINGS in response to the other gender are NOT "gender politics."

• Alesha

It's not that they are supposed to be they simply are. American women have a serious problem, FOOD. There is simply to much of it, and it's the wrong kind. Deep fried buffalo wings, cheese stuffed pizza, double chili cheese burgers and Hagen Daz simply don't do a girls figure any good at all. So far I've been able to avoid all that, I'm 5' 5" and weigh 122.

• R K

no one says women are supposed to be fat.

Yeah, no, they just say that to defend their size (some may be too lazy to eat well/work out/maintain a healthy weight/etc.). Being fat increases your risk of various health issues, which they wouldn't get if they were meant to be fat. Women (and men) are supposed to be a healthy weight, not fat.

Big women are not beautiful. Being fat is not healthy. Being supermodel skinny is not healthy either, for most girls, so I'm equally unattracted to starving waifs that drug themselves into losing enough weight to slip into a size zero as the skin dangles from their bones. But fat is not healthy, and anyone who does such a poor job of taking care of themselves is not a 'real woman' to me.

• Bill

Women are supposed to have a higher amount of body fat than men, but that in no way means they're supposed to be fat.