penelope asked in HealthWomen's Health · 2 years ago

Do doctors ever prescribe medication and have the pharmacy give you placebos instead? I know they used to but things change.?

I was a pharmacist for over 35 years, up to 2016, and not once was I asked to dispense a placebo. When I first started my career I heard of stories from older pharmacists that doctors would put some sort of code on Rxs so the pharmacist would give a placebo. I dont think any doctors do it now.

• Alesha

He/she would suffer the biggest malpractice suit in history. Besides the pharmacist would stop it dead in its tracks. I know that because my father is a pharmacist, he trained me as a pharmacy tech so I learned the rules by wrote.

This would be HIGHLY illegal. Generics, yes, as that is what most insurances have made mandatory, but as to placebos, I have never heard of this happening in a pharmaceutical setting. The only time placebos are given are during drug trials done in laboratories.

• Laura

No, its very illegal. It was illegal then and its illegal now.

• MissA

Nope. It’s a violation of professional ethics not to let patients know that they may be receiving a placebo, and as such it’s really only done as part of a clinical trial.

• Andy C

Used to...when? Back 70 years ago?

Some were performing lobotomies 60 years ago, too.

It's considered to be unethical and against the doctors code.

A doctor can prescribe a placebo under a fancy name. Sometimes the doctor believes your ailment is psychosomatic and a placebo will fix you. Check out the prescription you got. There are pictures of the actual pills on line. It is easy enough to see if you have an active drug or placebo.

Edit: I see the Yahoo experts (or expert yahoo's) don't like my answer. Unfortunately, it is true. According to Web MD, doctors have no problem prescribing a placebo. Perhaps one of my detractors will post a site claiming it is no longer done. Or perhaps they will scurry away like cockroaches when encountering the light of truth.

• kelvin

no pharmacy has ever done that