Would it be bad if I dont help my parents with the bills?

I'm 26 and since I was 16 I've always helped with the Bill's. I had a kid at 16 so I had to work. I've been in college for 2 years and so far I was able to work my schedule to work, school and be there for my daughter. I started a career program that takes most of my time and when i get out i would only have time to either work or take my daughter to her practices, help with homework, or simply spend quality time. I've asked my parents if I can take a break from work and they said it was fine but I still feel like I need to help but then who would take my daughter to her extra activities. Her father is not in her life so it's hard for me. Any advice?

I think you should contribute.

• Who

"Her father is not in her life so it's hard for me" - her father is ALWAYS part of her life whether you like it or not-

If I was your parent I wouldnt let you live in my house until you had sued him for child support

this is not YOUR money - it HERS - you want to put it into0 a fund to pay for HER college - great

But its HER money and she is entitled to it

It would be VERY bad if you do not "contribute" toward paying the bills. You owe it to your parents. They were decent enough to take you and your kid on but that did not include their paying for "your" kid. Why are you paying for your child to have practices and extra activities when you are considering not paying your parents? That is very selfish. You should be paying them rent for you and your child monthly, and for utilities. And, if the father of your child is alive, he should be paying child support. Did you even bother to file for it? You owe it to your child to receive it, and to your parents. It would go a long way toward the rent that you should be paying them.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • Judith

If you live with your parents then you should be paying one-half of rent/mortgage, utilities and groceries (your share and your child's share of those expenses) EVEN if they say you don't have to. If you don't live with your parents then do what you want.

You are old enough so that your parents should no longer have to be contributing to, or actually supporting, you. The money they would use in supporting you is taking away from other things they could be doing with it. It wouldn't occur to most adults to use their parents so that they can get a "break" from their responsibilities. Wouldn't we all like a "break" but it's a shame that you would be using your parents to do it. You shouldn't be asking them; you would be taking advantage of their good nature and I bet they would never, ever tell you what sacrifices they would make now or in the future to support two extra people.

My retired parents have retired friends whose daughter and child lived with them for two years. She didn't work. They paid for everything and dipped into their savings. She finally moved out years ago but her parents can no longer meet my parents and other friends for breakfast like they used to do. They are now living from one retirement check to the next and haven't enough money to do anything extra to make their lives enjoyable. I wonder what else they've had to give up besides those morning breakfasts. Shame on their daughter who took advantage of their guilt in feeling they had to support her and their grandchild.

This is why having kids at a young age

this kìd shouldn't fall on your folks head

lucky you have such kind parėnts 👪 to help you.

This is a personal choice. It's great that you care about your parents so much, the choice here is a matter of fine tuning the demands and requirements of your own life and goals in relation to your love for your parents.

• edward

Parents say it’s fine, you’re working for a better life for your daughter, i see no issue aside from your own personal guilt

It sounds like you've been a daughter who has really helped out (10 years of helping with the bills). Are you living with your parents? (if so, you probably should continue paying some of the bills if you can). Can they take your daughter to the extra activities? If not, is there another relative who can take her to them? You may want to brainstorm with them how to pay the bills and get your daughter to her activities.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): True Love Lasts - written with a character emphasis for teens through young adults, Straight Talk About Dating - written with a Christian emphasis for ages 20 and up

If you're living with them, yes it's very bad if you don't help them with bills. That would mean they're supporting their adult daughter and school-aged granddaughter all on their own. If you aren't living with them, I see no reason you should contribute to their bills.