Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 years ago

My dog is sick but i don't have any nearby 24h vets + not sure if i should make the drive or wait until morning to go. (read for symptoms)?

(I'm 17 and don't have a drivers license yet)

My miniature pinscher, Dobie, turned ten this May. Hes always been very energetic, running around in circles, barking at anything that was unfamiliar to him, etc.

Late last night/Early this morning i woke up and found he had managed to knock down the trashcan in the kitchen and eaten a lot of the food in it. He's only ever done this when he was a puppy, and when we saw it then, we got heavier trashcans with push lids. He eventually gave up so we didn't think nine years later he would get back into it.

When i found him it was like his stomach was blown up like a balloon and it was hard. He was still acting normal so i took him to my room, closed the door so he didn't get into anything else and went back to bed.

This morning i woke up and immediately realized something was wrong when i wasn't awoken by him barking at people in our neighborhood or cars driving by. He was sitting and i could tell visibly he wasn't feeling well.

Throughout the day i'd seen him vomit three times and my mom told me a couple minutes ago she's seen him vomit a couple times as well.

His poop is almost like a snot consistency.

He's extremely lethargic.

He aggressively shakes when he inhales.

Earlier today, while he was laying down he would randomly pant. (the house temperature has not changed.)

If you have any ideas of whats going on or any advice please please let me know.

thanks.

Family dog as minors can't own property,dogs are property, nor can minors sign any legal documents or consent to treatment of a dog that isn't theirs but belongs to the adults in the family. They're responsibility to provide vet care as needed, in a timely fashion, as required by law. So they will have to find a vet, and provide the transportation.

Being a senior dog he should have begun having comprehensive geriatric wellness examinations, every six months two years ago, perhaps any issues may have been detected sooner and treatments may have already begun.

It was the families responsibility to keep the dog safe from harm by whatever means necessary, this generally means constant supervision, immediate correction when caught in the act, train the leave it command which may one day save his life, and/or secure containment in a dog proofed area, everything put away, so he can't access any thing such as the trash, ONLY when no one can supervise.

Dogs are opportunist, even if well trained, family responsibility never to let their guard down, and continually enforce what has been taught on the as needed basis for their entire lives.

"his stomach was blown up like a balloon and it was hard." This maybe an emergency and he should have been taken to a vet immediately. If he hasn't already expired, have your Mom take him to a vet asap, if this is an intestinal blockage, he may need emergency surgery to save his life.....

Is the family dog not worth the travel time? Then perhaps no family dog should owned, period. Some areas you may have to travel one or two states over to reach an ER vet. I do, and my dogs are worth the travel time, thankfully it's rarely necessary, as I keep them safe from harm by whatever means necessary. And my vet is open seven days a week, Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Saturdays 8am-2pm and Sundays 8am to noon.

"If you have any ideas of whats going on or any advice please please let me know. " He got into the TRASH and you don't know what's wrong with him? At best he's overeaten, at worse he may well have eaten something that has blocked him up.

Don't be silly - your dog is in BIG trouble so even if you are not able to drive YOUR MOTHER SURELY IS, and unless you want the dog to die (seriously!) SHE needs to find a vet who will see you, and hopefully treat your dog, if it's not already past too late.

I honestly don't understand why anybody would think spending time on here, where we can only GUESS what's going on, is remotely better than getting your poor dog the VETERINARY TREATMENT he clearly needs. Grrrr.

• Jojo

VETS ASAP.....In a Taxi or pet taxi , no matter what. To delay, may cost him his life by the sounds of it.

My guess would be he ate something like a plastic bag that is caught in his intestines.

Needs urgent care or could result in death.

This vet needs a vet ASAP. But you are a CHILD. You can NOT take him to the vet. One of your PARENTS has to take him in. Wait and he will likely be DEAD.

• Robert

He's probably sick- at least you know that whatever he ate came from the kitchen trash, so it is food based. I would wait until the morning and take him then. He's made it this far.

• PR

He may have an impaction in the colon, which can be life-threatening. Were there any bones in the trash? Something could be blocking him up, and sometimes the only thing that can get through is thin diarrhea. Can someone else drive? Call someone to help you. He needs to be seen.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/common-co...

Definitely worth making the drive. He is obviously unwell and usually after the 2nd time he vomited he should have been taken to the vet right away

Why doesn't someone--your mom for preference since she is an adult--call a vet and ask? Vets have answering machines with numbers to call after hours.