Can I put the remaining money in my 529 plan account towards real estate courses and obtaining a realtors license?

• Eva

No. It can only be used at an accredited college.

• NA

FWIW, real estate investment "seminars" (the get rich quick stuff advertised on TV) is not going to count.

No such thing as a 'realtors license'.

There is a salesperson's license and a broker's license. You get a salesperson's license first, and then with the requisite experience as a salesperson and the additional required education, you apply for a broker's license.

Realtor is a trademark of the National Association of Realtors. It is NOT a generic name for anybody with a license. A Realtor is a licensed broker that owns their own brokerage and is a member of the NAR.

529 funds may be used for courses offered through any eligible institution. An eligible institution is defined as a college, university, vocational school or postsecondary institution eligible to participate in federal student aid programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

• danxp2

Yes, but you will have to pay the penalty fland taxes on it, unless the real estate courses are offered flby a qualifying college/university. My guess is that they are not.