Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 2 years ago

i'm so alone and depressed, and i'm going to be a freshman in high school?

i'm a 14 year old girl, and i'm not ready for high school. the only thing worrying me is my social life because i'm really shy and awkward, but if i'm hanging out with my cousin who's all the way on the opposite side of the country, i can be really loud and outgoing and myself.

i have tons of groups of friends but all of them i just don't fit in with. i hang out with these group of friends who i all get along with and i can be "kind-of" myself, but they never invite me to their group plans, or even text me. the only time i get any messages are from "streaks", which is a thing on snapchat. and each person in that group has a best friend, and i'm just a person they talk to when they have no one else to talk to.

it just feels like the only way i'll be able to have friends is having a huge followers count on instagram, a huge snapscore amount on snapchat, or if i look pretty.

i just don't know what to do. i'm always the person who's left out on group activities in class. there was this time where 2 of my friends who were in my math class paired up together and they left me out. i'm always the person who walks alone off the bus to school, who walks alone to class, and who just goes to school, go home, sleep, repeat. :/

i want to take part of track because i want to become more fit but i feel like i'll have none of my friends in it with me so i'll just be alone. and my parents don't have time to bring me to the doctor to check up on me.

Favorite Answer

Alright, so first of all you're exactly like me. Both of us have SAD (Social Anxiety Disorder) which makes going to parties and talking with people very difficult. Whenever I have been invited to parties, I've always had butterflies in my stomach and I get super anxious. Whenever I'm with my friends or family however, I'm very extroverted and happy. You'd be surprised at how many people are just like you.

Second of all, Freshman year isn't as difficult as one might think. It isn't a very big change from middle school, but lemme tell yah, it's much more fun than middle school because you have a greater choice of classes, generally cooler teachers, and much more freedom. Talking with people is just a skill that you have to teach yourself with experience. You being awkward is because you are scared to voice your opinion and afraid that people might not get your jokes and just stare at you. If you think something might be funny or add something to a conversation, say it. The reason being is that if you don't speak what's on your mind, you won't be included in the conversation because you haven't said anything to add to the conversation. Ergo, that's why your friends spend little time with you, because you haven't shown them what you are really like. You have been lying to them in a sense. You have a mask on that muffles your speech. That's a metaphor.

If someone likes something, and you like it too, say it. If someone likes something, and you don't, say it. It will be a good conversation starter that will get you talking with people more and more often. I don't know you, but based on what you've written, I highly doubt you have depression. I have known a lot of people in my life that have had real depression, and that's a whole other story. If you are still your "normal self" around family, you just have an anxiety disorder that I have gotten over and you can too.

Treat High School like an open book and try hard to be open to new experiences. Joining the track team is an example of that. You have lots of friends, so it focus on making more. And don't be afraid to take chances all on your own, you will make some amazing discoveries if you do that.

• Dale

Blame your school for not teaching you how to form a question.

Does your church have a youth group you can join? Maybe you should look for friends outside of school. Concentrate on your studies more.