so my manager was texting in a group chat with the other managers about firing me?

so i’ve worked in a restaraunt for 5 years(too long i know) and i have seen MANY managers come and go. for a few months one of our managers got promoted to general manager and has been a nightmare ever since. the work environment has gotten lazy and people aren’t held accountable for their actions and i tend to get overwhelmed and angry being the only one who seems to care to work hard on my shifts. anyways i recently had one of my managers come to me and show me a group text message from the general manger and two others, saying how i don’t fit in with the “positive” work environment. and at the end of the message said i have “no idea what’s coming to me” and “bye felisha”(insinuating when she fires me) i obviously work in a very unprofessional work environment and am looking for other jobs. but my question is, can management get in trouble over these text messages? it doesn’t seem right to me.

Consult with a lawyer who specializes in employment ethics. Most will give you a 15 min consult at no charge. Find one who will do that.

And how did you get in on the group manager chat?

Get in trouble with whom? If they find it more efficient and prefer to communicate by text, they have every right to.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

No, they cannot get in trouble. You can be fired without any reason, so the fact that they talk behind your back means nothing - except for being unprofessional.

Its very unprofessional and shows how bad a manager this guy is, but its not illegal. He's not discriminating (based on the text in the messages) and is saying you aren't fitting in a should be replaced - again very unprofessional (especially the way he worded it) but not in any way illegal. Sounds liike you might want to go to a new job anyhow - I'd speed up that job search as best you can, however, as it looks way better if you can say you are looking for a new, better job compared to saying you were let go from your old job.

How rude.

There is nothing wrong with the text.

The manager who showed you the text, should also be fired.

Yes, I agree. You work in a very unprofessional environment where managers (specifically the one who showed you the text) don't understand their role as a manager. This conversation was supposed to be confidential among managers.

No! Unless they included you in the group messaging, but they didn't, if they did you can claim hostility and harrassment, they can still fire you though but you would have to have evidence they were texting about you if you want to collect unemployment. Have you considered that you are a negative control freak? You are NOT a good employee if you are upset at others because they don't seem to work as hard as you do. Management is a bit more relaxed, but here you are getting angry, NOT GOOD!!! If you can't handle the job, then leave!!!