Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 2 years ago

Did GOD use the pagan ritual of water baptism to "bring people unto Christ" (Matt 3:11; Acts 1:5; 19:4)?

At his own baptism, the Orthodox Church teaches, Christ sanctified the waters of the earth. Whatever baptism was before Christ, Christian baptism now carries a new significance, a new importance, a different outcome than before. It is not symbolic (as we think of the word today), but has true and lasting effects. It is our entrance into the family of God, a true washing away of sin. When we sin, we don't subject ourselves to repeated baptisms, but confess, repent, amend our ways, and unite ourselves again to Christ and his Church in the Sacrament of Confession.

Forgive me.

/Orthoodx

@ANON:

See comments under JoeBama.

COMMENTS UNDER JOEBAMA:

GOD "desires no one is lost" (II Pet 3:9). HE used a WHALE to turn Jonah in the right direction (Isaiah 45:7) and HE will use ANYTHING to turn people in the right direction. Me included. Do you understand GOD?

GRANNY NORINE · just now

Baptism was a religious ritual of the Pharisees for what they perceived as spiritual cleansing. Since people were accustomed to "spiritual cleansing," via water baptism, GOD "sent" John using that custom to bring people unto the right direction.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

When JESUS walked the face of the earth, HE never broke ANY laws whether religious or civil. HE was water baptized or HE would have broken the religious law and HE paid taxes as not to break civil laws.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

HIS concern was "fulfilling" religious laws (Matt 5:17-18) and in doing so, HE "fulfilled" water baptism (Acts 1:5). JESUS told us WHY HE was baptized in Matt 3:15 when HE SAID "To fulfill all righteousness" of what HE had spoken through the prophets (Is 40:3; Mal 3:1)

GRANNY NORINE · just now

and not to break the religious law of the Pharisees an NOT to "give us an example." John's temporary (Matt 5:17-18) water baptism was one of "Repentance; believing that Jesus was coming" (Acts 19:4) and JESUS needed neither so it was not to "give us an example."

GRANNY NORINE · just now

GRANNY NORINE · just now

Religion misinterprets the Scripture "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you" (John 3:15) to try and justify a water baptism but "Jesus never water baptized anyone" (John 4:2) so HE never "did that unto anyone."

GRANNY NORINE · just now

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMMENTS TO ANON:

I didn't do anything man and no one is "in on this with me." I don't know what you think I am but I'm a 68 (this year) year old Black woman with very little education so believe you me *I* don't have the knowledge to "put this together" for monetary benefits.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

I live comfortably and if God never does anything else in my finances, that's good enough for me. Most people are like you even some of my family but that's neither here nor there.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

No "MAN" can make Scripture ADD UP like this BUT GOD! I wasn't raised to believe what GOD has "REVEALED" and the part of my family that is religious have disowned me and that's the majority. I was raised Church of God in which they believed in both a water baptism and the Lord's Supper

GRANNY NORINE · just now

although they disputed with other denominations as to "what name" one was to baptized in and "what drink" was to taken for the Lord's Supper. Just like all religions who have different beliefs and establish another denomination they changed the name of their church to adhere to their beliefs.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

I have a book to write! It'll be something!

GRANNY NORINE · just now

*I* never saw anything that will change the world's "Christianity," GOD "REVEALED" it to me and it fits together like a puzzle! Like I said, *I* don't have the knowledge to do this.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

When JESUS SAID that HE was going to "fulfill all laws" (Matthew 5:17-18) and if you look at the definition of John's water baptism in Acts 19:4 in which it says "John's baptism was a baptism of REPENTANCE; BELIEVING THAT JESUS WAS COMING" and we know HE CAME, you'll know that it was only TEMPORARY!

GRANNY NORINE · just now

UNLESS you don't know HE CAME!

GRANNY NORINE · just now

I NEVER said "John the Baptist was a culprit" because he said "I was SENT to baptize with water" BUT he also said "the same is HE which is going to baptize with the Holy Spirit" (John 1:33) TELLING US water baptism was about to be "fulfilled."

GRANNY NORINE · just now

John also made other statements that WITNESSES water baptism was about to be "fulfilled" when he said "HE (aka Holy Spirit baptism) must INCREASE but I (water baptism) must DECREASE" (John 3:30).

GRANNY NORINE · just now

I have to stop and pray and beg GOD to help me! "Create in me a clean heart JESUS so that when I speak to YOUR people that YOUR WORDS come out of my mouth because YOUR souls are so great!"

GRANNY NORINE · just now

There are other Scriptures wherein John said "I baptize you with water (((BUT))) HE will baptize you with the Holy Spirit" (Matt 3:11).

GRANNY NORINE · just now

Ephesians 4:5 says there is "one baptism" and Holy Spirit baptism is the "one baptism" since JESUS "fulfilled" water baptism when HE SAID "John baptized THAT way (((BUT))) I'm going to baptize you THIS way" [paraphrasing] in Acts 1:5.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

I came to do the will of my Father and am not the final judge on how one will be judged for the preceding 2000 years. All I know that GOD has chosen me to tell the world water baptism has been "fulfilled"

GRANNY NORINE · just now

as well as the Lord's Supper and ANY OTHER worship men do with their hands (Acts 17:23-25) for worshiping GOD is ALL SPIRITUAL (John 4:23-24) and is UNSEEN WORSHIP!

GRANNY NORINE · just now

GOD is giving people "specific instructions to stop the water baptism, the Lord's Supper, believing HE'S separate entities, not "PROVING" (I Thess 5:21) that you are *IN* HIM, and other erroneous beliefs as HE continues to "REVEAL" what is IN HIS WORD.

GRANNY NORINE · just now

It wasn't until this year that GOD commanded me to tell people to "PROVE IT" (I Thes 5:21)! PROVE that you are a "WITNESS FOR JESUS" (Acts 1:8). PROVE that you are "IN CHRIST" (Rm 8:9) with "signs and wonders" from the "POWER" received AFTER Holy Spirit baptism (Acts 1:8).

GRANNY NORINE · just now

JESUS needs "WITNESSES UNTO HIM" so unbelievers will have PROOF and not ask IGNORANT QUESTIONS e.g. "PROVE YOUR SKY DADDY!" There are too many places in Scripture that JESUS brought people unto HIM because of the "signs and wonders" HE did or the "WORKS!"

GRANNY NORINE · just now

John 10:37-38 "If I do not the WORKS of My Father, believe Me not. But if I do, though ye believe not Me, BELIEVE THE WORKS: that ye may KNOW, and BELIEVE, that the Father is in Me, and I in HIM"

GRANNY NORINE · just now

John 4:24 "Then JESUS said unto him, Except ye see SIGNS AND WONDERS, ye will NOT BELIEVE."

GRANNY NORINE · just now

GOD IS FORMING "HIS ARMY" BUT ONLY WITH THOSE WHO "BELIEVE ON HIM" AND ARE HOLY SPIRIT BAPTIZED WHO GIVES "POWER" (ACTS 1:8) TO PERFORM THE "SIGNS AND WONDERS" FOR UNBELIEVERS TO "BELIEVE ON THE WORKS" EVEN IF THEY DON'T BELIEVE ON HIM!

GRANNY NORINE · just now

YOU IN OR OUT?

GRANNY NORINE · just now

BLESSINGS!

GRANNY NORINE · just now

--------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

NO "PROOF" (I THESSALONIANS 5:21); NO "JESUS!"

GOD NEEDS PEOPLE WHO CAN PRODUCE "THE WORKS" SO THAT UNBELIEVERS CAN "SEE" THAT "THE FATHER IS IN YOU AND YOU IN HIM!"

"PROVE" IT; OR ELSE!

"FOR IT HAD BEEN BETTER FOR THEM NOT TO HAVE KNOWN THE WAY OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, THAN, AFTER THEY HAVE KNOWN IT, TO TURN FROM THE HOLY COMMANDMENT DELIVERED UNTO THEM" (II PETER 2:21)!

BLESSINGS

If God commanded it, it's not a "pagan ritual".

God commanded baptism.

Pagans also pray. Is prayer a pagan ritual?

Pagans also sing. Is singing a pagan ritual?

God commanded both prayer and singing. Are you going to try to say those who obey these commands from God are doing "pagan rituals" simply because pagans also do them?

That is what you are trying to say about baptism.

You are more full of hot air than a hot air balloon and funnily enough, that is probably the only way you are ever likely to get anywhere near to Heaven whatsoever.

You honestly think you have seen something that billions of Christians over the centuries failed to recognize and which makes them all wrong?

And one presumes you are suggesting that John The Baptist was one of the chief culprits?

If this item were as important as you and a bunch of religious charlies are making it out to be do you not think that Christ would have given specific instructions to stop the water baptisms? Are you and these others naive enough to believe that Christ would have left His sheep and lambs to blindly wander and grope around in the dark for 2000 years until you and your fellow religious charlies put Christianity straight?

btw 'religious charlie' = charlatan.

charlatan

ˈʃɑːlət(ə)n/Submit

noun

a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill.

"a self-confessed con artist and charlatan"

synonyms: quack, mountebank, sham, fraud, fake, humbug, impostor, pretender, masquerader, hoodwinker, hoaxer, cheat, deceiver, dissembler, double-dealer, double-crosser, trickster, confidence trickster, cheater, swindler, fraudster, racketeer

Interesting that the words fraudster and racketeer are in there. Are we 100% sure that somebody isn't looking to make an absolute killing by cornering the market on this wonder product called "Holy Spirit Baptism"??

No, you and your buddies DO NOT have a monopoly on the truth and if it were as important as you reckon there would indeed have been specific guidance. Do you not see that a simple "Stop doing it!" would have been sufficient?

Nice try though?

Bad luck.

Incidentally, I mind a lot less about people who are not 100% right in their thinking, for whatever reason, than I do about people who go round abusing others and use the sledgehammer and scripture technique.

Every time you use shouting and screaming text you are basically saying "YOU WILL OBEY ME BECAUSE I AM IMPORTANT!"

No madam, you are not.

Comments: Nice to see you have stopped the shouting text. You do realize your argument was flawed by the very title of one of the truly greats? John "The Baptist".

The best analogy of what you have done here is that of a leper who has found their way to the river of life. You have put both hands into the river, taken them out to offer to people and you are saying "Come, drink this pure and clean water from the river of life!" Most of what you are offering is actually clean and scriptural. However, it is the small part that is contaminated which will lead to disease and death.

I do not believe a single word from anyone which I see on the internet unless I have absolute proof.

I have given you ample warning. Your teachings are unsound. What you need to do is to delete this account in absolute entirety if you are to find redemption.

I wish you well.

p.s. If you want the truth, examine the main denominations and ascertain what the CORE beliefs are (the most commonly held beliefs across the board) then check them against the scriptural validity. Those core beliefs bring salvation not the peripheral items which are contentious but THE most important thing is to Trust in The Lord with all your heart and lean not upon your own understanding.

I will not engage in further discussion .... you either accept what I have said or not.

However, in the words of the Keith Green song..... You just do your best and pray that it's blessed ... He'll take care of the rest.

It is JESUS who does the Holy Spirit Baptism, no one else. He does it when you call upon His name in spirit and in truth.

Source(s): Many flags but ONE banner. (See Moses)