Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 years ago

When we look at stuff people wore in the past and think it looks funny, did they think it looked funny too, or that it was normal?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Kate
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

They would not have thought anything about it because it was the norm for the time. I love looking at some of the historical pictures of fashion at different times.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

They thought it was normal. In 200 years, your t-shirt and blue jeans will look idiotic to kids of that era.

• Mike
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

In the 70s, most people thought big afros, bell bottom pants and platform shoes looked ridiculous, but a lot of people wore them. I don't know if the people who dressed like that thought it looked normal or if they were trying to be outrageous.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Yes, they knew they were clownish.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Here is an exercise.

Go look at contemporary dress. Did you find some styles you find funny? Are they at all widespread or did you immediately dismiss the silliest ones as "Oh yeah, but that is like a hundred geeks at comic-con who dress like that."

Now go look at a wide range of people from the past, rather than a handful of pictures of "people in outrageous styles." You quickly realize that most people never wore those particular pants, had that hairstyle, or whatever.

Pick up an old yearbook, you quickly realize "yeah everyone did feather their hair and part it in the middle, except for those two guys who shaved their heads. and that one dude with the Jeri Curl."

Even most nostalgia shows ignore the boring kids in jeans and T-shirts for the handful who played dress up twice a year.

• Lomax
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

I assure you that every one of the pictures on your phone will look bizarre to your great-grandchildren.

• 2 years ago

Absolutely not. Styles and attitudes towards them change on a yearly basis.

• Anonymous
    2 years ago

Of course they did, just as I might laugh at 30-somethings with their backsides hanging over their tiny lowslung jeans so did people laugh at Malvolio and his yellow stockings (although one moment of fashion comedy was intentional).

• 2 years ago

It was probably normal to them

• 2 years ago

They didnot think it was funny. It was fashion then. If people look back in 500 years and swee our time, then they will think how funny people looked back in 2018.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.