Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 1 year ago

Can someone suggest ways I could try to eliminate some of my anxiety?

I hope someone could help me out. I am a college student, and anxiety has been taken over my life more recently and I don't know why. I didn't have it growing up, and now it seems to be interfering with my life.

One of my biggest fears is getting sick in front of other people. I go to a relatively small school, so there's not much of a way I could hide if I feel out of it. I also had a mini-faint where I blanked out in class for a few seconds last semester and had to have an ambulance come check me out. This makes me worried about it happening again since a lot of my friends in my major saw it. Another thing is I will be performing in band next semester, and one of the tasks involves standing up for the 90 minute rehearsal. I'm anxious about this since standing up for a long time was one of the reasons I passed out last semester.

I'm mostly trying to find remedies to help me deal with my anxiety before the semester starts next month. I am seeing a psychotherapist, but it feels like there's only so much that can be recommended. I also heard of a 5 second counting backwards rule and thinking of an anchor thought, so I might try that.

If anyone has suggestions for things I can try to alleviate some anxiety, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

Here are some of my main symptoms if it helps: (social) anxiety/nervousness, fear of getting sick in front of others, heart racing, dry mouth, lightheadedness/dizziness, coughing/gagging, not wanting to eat, nausea (especially around food), fear of eating in public, worried about standing for too long, always wanting to know where a bathroom/exit is, shaking/trembling. I am also a musician, and have performed hundreds of times, but now I get anxious to perform too.

Other things I will add: I am currently seeing a psychotherapist and trying to see if they could help at all. I carry a lemon scented essential oil with me which sometimes helps me feel a little bit better, but not completely. I was also very vitamin D deficient and have been taking more vitamins/wafers. I also don't like the idea of eating before class or going out since I don't want food to make me feel out of it. I am going to try Ensures as a meal substitute during the school day.

I'm mostly looking for ways people go about alleviating some of their anxiety. Whether it's a specific form of treatment, a certain brand of essential oil, a medication, a relaxation technique, or anything else. I just want to go into the new semester feeling more confident and less nervous about feeling out of it. I know it's all in my head, but I don't know how to control it much yet. I really appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

• 1 year ago
    Best Answer

Recently, I discovered something very interesting that people with anxiety should know about. It has to do with two things that have been mentioned here, mindfulness and controlled breathing. What I've found is how these two things come together.

I got into breathing therapy when I read The Healing Power of the Breath by psychiatrists Richard Brown and Patricia Gerbarg. What most impresses me about this book is that it recommends a 3-part approach to mental health with traditional mind-body methods. It emphasizes slow breathing and also suggests slow body movement such as tai chi exercise and meditation.

About slow body movement, for people who suffer from anxiety, rushing around when you don't have to and doing things carelessly is bad for the nerves and makes for mistakes and accidents. Carefulness is a form of mindfulness. Slow movement is your friend. It prevents serious accidents, and your actual safety is good for your peace of mind.

You can learn tai chi from one or two beginners' videos on YouTube.

It seemed to me that Brown and Gerbarg didn't "get" mindfulness. They say practice slow breathing daily and if you have time, also do tai chi or yoga, and meditate. The mindfulness-based therapy programs teach mindfulness meditation so that people can use mindfulness throughout the day, not just for a few minutes a day.

Here's the thing. Brown-Gerbarg and mindfulness-based therapy have this in common - *awareness of breath* during the day. Respond to moments of stress by taking a few slow breaths, which will bring your breathing rate down. You might say that Brown-Gerbarg is a kind of mindfulness-based therapy.

I'll show you a video in which psychiatrist Patricia Gerbarg demonstrates a slow breathing exercise. She tells the "patient" (her husband, psychiatrist Richard Brown) to breathe *gently.* The patient doesn't have to fill his lungs completely. It's a smooth transition from inhale to exhale without pauses in-between. The breathing rate is about 5 breaths a minute, which research has shown is healthy in a number of ways - hormones, blood pressure, and brain activity. It's also the rate that requires the least effort. It's natural - you were born with it.

Brown and Gerbarg, one of the research teams that have shown that slow breathing helps people with PTSD, say that 10 to 20 min of slow breathing is a good exercise, and they recommend 20 min twice a day for people suffering from anxiety. They also recommend responding to moments of stress by slowing your breathing rate. Breathing with the belly muscle is healthy - always sit so you can breathe freely and wear comfortable clothing.

The mindfulness-based therapy that has been most thoroughly validated by research is mindfulness-based cognitive therapy. If you can't access MBCT, the Oxford Mindfulness Center of Oxford University recommends a book with audio CD, Mindfulness by Williams and Penman.

By the way, one of the researchers who have shown that slow breathing helps people with PTSD is psychologist Emma Seppala. She has a really good book on how to succeed with a low-stress existence - The Happiness Track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A_yxzNGE7g

Youtube thumbnail

• 1 year ago

Mindfulness meditation will render such feelings powerless. They may or may not go away, but they will no longer have any power over you. When you practice long enough you learn to allow such feelings to arise and pass on their own, without resisting them. It is your resistance to those things that makes them worse. As Shinzen Young says, “Suffering equals pain times resistance.”

The end of suffering https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-end-of-su...

Free online mindfulness course https://palousemindfulness.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A4w3W94ygA

Youtube thumbnail

&t=325s

• k w
    1 year ago

DEEP BREATHS........and chamomile tea, it will relax you......I sometimes drink it made with 2 bags to sleep.....works great, no side effects.....

1 year ago

I was fine until I hit 17 and then I started to become unhinged for the next 17 yrs. Since I fixed myself I will tell you how. NLP that I learned from books( after watching how good it seemed to work on youtube) and EFT tapping (that doesn't really make sense that it works but it does like magic).

Anyone who thinks they are pseudo psychology can believe what they want but if they worked for me and quickly at that then must work for some people. I believe that if I had access to them early on I would have been a great success in life instead of mentally crippled for almost 2 decades.

Paul McKenna books and Richard Bandler's Get the Life You Want and an EFT Tapping book( eft is easy to learn online too. not much to it but it's like magic to me) Eckart Tolle would be a good person to listen to on youtube to explain how your mind works and how to calm down. Also you might try a psychologist that uses NLP

• Jaguar
    1 year ago

Try living a better lifestyle i.e. eating better, sleeping better etc. Apart from that for immediate relief you can try this technique...rub the back of your hands (dorsal) when you're feeling stressed or anxious. For best results, use a pen and roll it(with the other hand) back and forth along the back of your hand (almost vigorously with moderate pressure). Not only it feels so good, it may help you with your problems.

Also incorporate some physical activity daily in your routine even if it's just a few stretches.(seriously do this!) It will help a big deal.

• 1 year ago

See your doctor. It helped when I needed it.

Think of the worst case scenario; so what if you blank out again?

Rebuke demons that are bothering you and forbid replacement. You will eventually have to do it again since they can be like mosquitos or flies, where you can swat this one now but eventually you will encounter others.