What should I be doing to increase my chances of getting into medical school?

I'm so sorry in advanced for all the questions following, I've been sorta stressed out about what I want to do and what I need to do to get there. I'm going into my sophomore year at the University of Florida, I started off as a psychology major on a pre-med track. I enrolled in Chem 1 and Calc 1 in order to satisfy pre-med requirements and due to extreme difficulties in both classes, I withdrew. I ended up switching my major to Sociology and I've been taking psych/sociology classes since. The more time passes the more I regret that I didn't try harder. I've been thinking about taking classes like chemistry and math classes at my local community college due to the fact that I struggled with Chem 1 and Calculus 1 so much. So my questions are: Do medical schools care if I take some of the prerequisites at community college? I don't have any of the prerequisites so obviously I'm behind, am I too behind to try? If there's still a chance to get back on track, what other things should I do to better my chances of getting in anywhere? Do medical schools care about my major, should I be majoring in biology or something like that or can I stick with what I have? Thank you so much for all your help! Just a worried college student.

Favorite Answer

Do medical schools care if I take some of the prerequisites at community college?

Yes, they care, and it's not good. If you take medical school prerequisite classes in the normal course of going to community college for two years and then transferring to a four-year university, it's generally OK to take medical school prerequisites at community college. But going to a four-year university, but taking medical school prerequisites over the summer, or after you graduate, at community college is a BIG red flag for medical schools that you're either unable to cope with the tougher classes, or you're trying to boost your grades in the prerequisites. You will not be accepted.

I don't have any of the prerequisites so obviously I'm behind, am I too behind to try?

Not at all. That is, I don't know where you are with your major and common core classes, but you should be able to complete your medical school prerequisites in three years easily (and very possibly in two, although they will be very science-heavy: a year of general biology with lab and a year of general chemistry with lab the first year; so you can take a year of organic chemistry with lab and biochemistry the next year. You can take physics and stats/calc either year, and I'm guessing you've already taken psych and English composition. Also remember that prereqs may vary a bit by medical school, so look up some likely med schools and make sure you take what's necessary.

If there's still a chance to get back on track, what other things should I do to better my chances of getting in anywhere?

Physician shadowing, hospital volunteering, research, etc. Your university should have a pre-med society or club; they will help you on your way.

Do medical schools care about my major, should I be majoring in biology or something like that or can I stick with what I have?

Not at all, even to the extent that (unlike law school) medical schools won't consider the complexity of the major when weighing your GPA, so a 3.9 psych major would get in before a 3.8 EE major (all else, like MCAT scores and ECs, being equal).

Medical schools DO NOT CARE WHAT you major in. you can major in English. As long as you take AND PASS the the undergraduate PREREQUISITE classes. which includes MORE MORE THAN ONE term of chemistry and calculus and physics. The medical schools DO NOT CARE WHAT your major is, and BO , they DO NOT CARE WHERE you took those classes.. You CAN take them at a community college if you want to. The real question is, IF you take those classes at a community college. Will the college you are taking your sociology AND OTHER general education courses ACCEPT those community colleges courses. Will the credit hours from the community college courses TRANSFER as credit hours toward you bachelor's degree from the your original college.. Is their a reciprocity agreement between the college and the community college.. Those community colleges MIGHT NOT TRANSFER. THAT IS WHY you HAVE to talk to ONE OR MORE academic adviser's and maybe your degree coordinator at your original college..

Are you too far behind? Probably not? Is it too late to do this. NO. There is NO DATE specifically that you HAVE to graduate by, except the one that is in your head. AND you CAN CHANGE YOUR MAJOR MULTIPLE TIMES Even if you have OFFICIALLY DECLARED a major, which i seriously doubt you have done. but maybe you have.

I've graduated from college FOUR times and I was 22, 27,41 and 47 YEARS Old when i graduated. It definitely is NOT too late.

Talk to ONE OR MORE academic advisers at your college and maybe your degree coordinator. Don't you HAVE to talk to an academic adviser at least oNCE every term.? i don't see how it POSSIBLE for anyone to go to college or even a vocational technical school and NEVER talk to an academic adviser or degree coordinator. or BOTH.

probably to get good grades

Do NOT attempt to take science prerequisites for premed at community college. They typically are not acceptable. Even if you started at community college & transferred into bachelor's degree program in premed, you'd probably have to retake your science classes.

Your major is not the problem. Your finding the most introductory level chemistry & calc classes among premed prerequisites too difficult to earn A grades the first time indicates sciences & math are "not your thing" and premed is not right for you.