Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 years ago

Mother drops off 6 kids at library all day unsupervised?

have been a librarian for 25 years and for the past 3 months I have had to deal with 6 kids that run around the library and use the computers all day. They yell and fight even though I tell them to be quiet but they don't listen. They leave trash laying around and don't use headphones on the computer which I told them to do. They are here at least 5 days a week. The mother uses us as free daycare and I told her she cant just leave her children here unsupervised and she started swearing at me and said she can do whatever she wants its a free country. So then I talked to my supervisor who told me that since the juvenile curfew laws in my area allow these kids to be here, and they are old enough to be here on their own without adult supervision they can't do anything about it. My final straw with these kids was when I ordered $60 worth of pizzas and sodas from dominos for our employees and I paid for them on the app. The kids heard me discussing it with my coworker and waited in the lobby to steal my already paid for pizzas. The delivery boy texted me to let me know he was there and I went to the lobby I saw them accept the pizzas from him and they ran off before I could confront them. The next day I did tell their mother and said she didn't care. So now I am at a loss for what to do.

• james

Call chucles. Tell him to bring his van. Charge $200 a child. Let the kids hear you order pizza again. It will be delivered by a van that stops out back this time. Soon they will be porn stars. There mother can buy them back from chucles.

If your supervisor won't back you up, its probably time to find a new job.

Call the police. This is child abandonment, etc. You are also of course free to kick them out.

• Yeti

If anyone is violating library policies, such as disturbing others, it would be normal that they're not permitted to be there. It doesn't matter what age they are. You can talk with your supervisor about how to handle it. No one here knows what your exact policies are, and you're not citing them. After 25 years you should know them pretty well. For example, it also would be normal to have a policy limiting how much someone can use the computers each day. No library has speakers hooked up to the computers so that they can play sound that would disturb others.

Any pizza paid for in the workplace should be reimbursed by your employer.

• Maxi

Time to stop spamming this question or retire and find something you can do you sound like a very young teenager who has no knowledge or education!

you could call cps and tell cps about the unsupervised children

And again:

You don't know how to handle an issue or your library's policies after 25 years of working there. Time to retire, useless one.

• I call shenanigans, as no library allows unlimited computer access.or for that matter has speakers for their computers at all.

Next time order salads for lunch ... the kids probably won't be interested .