I don't know what it means to be mixed race?

I'm a mixed race black man. My father is white and my mother is black. We grew up in a middle class background and I went to a private boarding school. Out of 600 people at my school, I was one of 3 black people there. At this point in my life, I feel very confused. I have no idea what I should be and I feel like I don't have connection to any community. I feel like a fake when meeting other black people and sometimes I feel embarrassed about the accent that I have when I speak I speak with a Received Pronunciation accent (especially with members of my family who haven't had the same privileges). Does anyone have any thoughts on the issue?

You're half and half.

• Alex

It means that you come from more than one race. That is all that it means to be mixed race. You choose the rest.

Also if you are half white, then you are not a black man.

Well, you probably don't know it but in the body of your question you've referred to yourself as a black man despite being half white. But never did you refer to yourself as a white man.

Ok, so what's the significance of that OneDrop?

I'll tell you the significance. It means you live in a racist country, I'm sure it must be the USA (?), where anyone remotely black is cast out onto the scrapheap.

You've answered your own question without knowing it.

You've just described what it means to be mixed race in the USA. It means you're black.