Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 years ago

Do I have the right to shoot that dog?

My neighbors used to not have a fence and their dogs kept coming onto my property. One time their biggest dog attacked and nearly killed my dog on MY property. They have a fence now but their dog keeps breaking out and getting into my yard. No I don't leave my dog outside unsupervised. My dog stays in my property at all times. I take her out with me to do stuff like take out the trash and get the mail. She's never outside without me. My question is that if I see their dog breaking into my yard again, do I have the right to shoot it to protect my dog?

I'm posting this anonymously because I'm using a friend's account that has a rep up here she worked really hard to develop. This has been reported to the city and that's why the fence was built. Their dog breaks out and in easily so they don't believe that their dog is probably smarter than they are. They are almost never home and leave their dogs out 24/7. They are evasive and always take off when I try going to their door to just really meet them.

Favorite Answer

If it comes onto your proeprty yes you have every legal right to shoot it. The dog is not under their control, its a threat to you, your proeprty and pets and the law will be on your side when you shoot it.

Yes you do but you have to kill an animal because it's owned by stupid people. Take pictures of it off their property, make a log each time it comes near you or your pet then contact animal services

Yes if the dog is tooled up.

Piss off, troll.

You cannot fire any weapon that has a projectile in city limits. No BBs, no bullets, no arrows.

How is neighbors dog getting onto your property? Is he digging in, jumping the fence or do you not have a fence? If you don't have a fence to keep strange dogs off your property, this is your problem. Put up a fence. Just like America is fixing her borders, you need to fix yours too. We fence our yard & America needs the Wall on Mexican border to keep illegals out, the same reason we all fence in our property. It is all for our own protection. So is your fence.

Discharging a gun inside city limits will get you arrested. What you CAN legally do is get the dog into your car and take it over to animal control and turn it in as 'wandering loose'. You can do it anonymously so your name isn't involved. In our city it's $125 to get your animal back once it's turned over to animal control.

OR get the dog into your garage and close the door to contain it there, then call animal control to come pick it up. Tell them you want to remain anonymous. Again, the owner will need to pay to get the dog back.

OR if the dog gets on your property have a spray bottle filled with 1/4 bleach and 3/4ths water, spray the dog in the face with it. Bicyclists use this to deter dogs trying to get them on their bikes.

I hope you had filed a report about the dog attack with animal control.

• *****

Not where I live. I don't know what the law says wherever in the world you're located. Every time the dog is out of its yard, take a photo and call animal control.

Depends on laws in your area, but generally if you are not within city limits ypu can shoot an animal that is ON your property AND posing itself as a threat.

You can not shoot a dog that is "attempting" to break into your property.

Not where I live. I don't know what the laws are where you live

i dont think so, that can get you into trouble, just talk to the police about it and let the police solve it

Why have you not called the city and reported this? It's illegal to not have your dog contained on your property.

I think this post is complete BS, though. You're just a Flame Baiting Troll. If this dog REALLY had attacked and "nearly killed your dog" this dog would have been deemed a dangerous dog and even likely put down. The fact you posted this anonymously pretty much proves you're a cowardly little troll.