Emergency contraceptive failure?

Had sex on day before ovulation. Then took Take

action 19-20 hours later on Ovulation day. Chances of EC failing in this situation

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 years ago

Plan B pills are effective for up to 72 hours after sex occurs. You should be safe.

• Edna
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

There's a high chance of failure, because you had sex one day before you thought you would ovulate. You're not fertile only on the day you ovulate.You're fertile for about 2 days before and 2 days after that day.

Emergency contraception helps prevent pregnancy by delaying the onset of ovulation for several days. If ovulation has already begun when you take emergency contraception, it won't do you a bit of good.

This begs the question: If you KNEW (or thought) that you would ovulate one day later, then WHY did you have unprotected sex at that time?

• alan P
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

Lets not panic here. Even if you had protected sex and then did nothing about it there is a good chance that you will not get pregnant. The link below says that emergency contraception is not effective after ovulation but also says that only around 2% of people who take it get pregnant. I did see somewhere that emergency contraception also helps to prevent implantation. I don't think anyone knows for sure.

• 2 years ago

If you actually ovulated on time, the chances of EC working are extremely low. Plan B works to delay ovulation. If you'd already ovulated, it can't put the egg back in the ovary. Even if you took it a split second past ovulation, it's too late.

So why were you having unprotected sex the day before ovulation if you didn't want to achieve pregnancy?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pippin
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

No idea. And it really doesn't matter. Either you WILL become pregnant (in which case the failure rate was, for you 100%), or you won't become pregnant (in which case it's 0% -- for you.)

But presumably if you didn't want to be pregnant, you used contraception WHEN you had sex. You knew you were fertile, so you would NOT have decided to have unprotected intercourse and then rely on PlanB afterwards. A correctly used condom has a much LOWER failure rather rate than EC.

• Dze
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

i dont know .. all i can tell you is if you keep fcking your going to get a baby .. thats what happens .. where do you think people come from ..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.