Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 years ago

Question about social security money?

I don t know what I can and can t use the money on, it s too broad/general and confusing.

But I want to specifically know if I m allowed to give someone money for their services?

Examples:

-Paying a plumber to fix my toilet.

-Paying my uncle to help me move out.

-Paying a random artist to make/give me some art.

etc.

What's confusing? Why wouldn't you be able to pay a plumber? It's your money.

You can use the money on anything you like.

• Judith

If you receive your own benefits social security doesn't give two hoots and a holler how you spend your benefits - they are yours to do with as you wish. If you are a payee for someone else's social security benefits then I suggest you download their pamphlet - A Guide for Representative Payees. It is SSA Publication No. 05-10076 (or at least it used to be).

The only time SS becomes involved in how someone spends their SS benefits is when they are contacted by a friend or relative who is concerned that a person has become incapable of managing money in their own best interests - or someone has been appointed by a court a legal guardian. If someone alleges a beneficiary has become incapable, SS will begin to investigate by contacting the person's doctor for a statement regarding capability.

If a person receives SSI (supplemental security income) instead of social security (SSI isn't social security - it is a federal welfare benefit) then the person must use their benefits to meet their own needs. Obviously paying for services rendered covers that.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

Once you have the money you can do what you like with it, it becomes your money!

You an legally use it for ANYTHING you could legally spend money you earn working on.

That said, if you can AFFORD to buy artwork, you probably shouldn't be receiving any from of social security other than retirement checks.

You can use it for anything you want to.

• Tavy

Who would check? You don't have to give in receipts.

If you've been given social security money - you can spend it on whatever you want.

If it was housing benefit, child care vouchers, heating allowance etc. then it would be paid directly to the service provider.