Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 2 years ago

What to do about my supervisor wanting to pay me under the table?

My supervisor has paid me three times so far. I've asked for paycheck subs and she keep saying we won't put this one of the books. I want a paycheck stub b/c i want to claim taxes at the end of the year and not be in any trouble with IRS. I filled out all required paperwork for tax purposes state and federal.

What could be the reason she's doing this? But I don't operate like that


Thanks everyone! I'm going to talk to her monday morning letting her know i need pay stubs and from when she paid me and what was all taken out for federal, state, and ss so i won't be owing anyone at the end of the year

9 Answers

  • Linda
    Lv 6
    2 years ago

    Look for another job.

  • 2 years ago

    She is hoping you will just give up asking and accept the money under the table, which provides you zero future ss income and no record of employment. And, you already know you risk federal criminal charges for tax evasion. Report them to your local IRS office and go and look for another job.

    Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • 2 years ago

    Because she would also have to pay taxes if she put you on the books. She is paying you under the table so that she can avoid taxes.

    You can still claim taxes at the end of the year. If you claim what you made, then you won't be in trouble with the IRS. (However, if you file, but don't claim this income, then you will be in trouble.)

  • NA
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    Personally, I'd look for another job. When the employer calls it a job, but refuses to issue you a paystub or withhold taxes, they are breaking the law and expect you to do so as well. You will get no worker's comp if hurt; no unemployment if laid off.

    Look at IRS form SS-8 and if you think it applies, submit it. Bear in mind, the IRS will contact the employer for their side which forces the issue (you could get fired and need to find another job, so start now). In the meantime, save 30% of your pay for taxes. If the IRS agrees with you,

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 years ago

    They don't want to pay the payroll tax, which is their share of Social Security and Medicare. This means they are also not withholding your share, and they are probably not withholding any state and federal income tax, either. You'll be stuck with a bill next year that you might not have the money to pay. Call the IRS and ask them how to force the employer to follow the law.

  • Judith
    Lv 7
    2 years ago

    She is avoiding the responsibilities of an employer. She isn't handling income taxes or social security taxes. YOU are the loser here. If this were me, I'd be contacting the IRS about her. I'd write the nearest IRS office and I'd do it pronto. In the meantime, keep track of your income and pay your taxes yourself. Employers who do this shouldn't be able to get away with it - they should be severely fined.

    Frankly, after contacting the IRS I'd be looking for another job with an employer with ethics.

  • 2 years ago

    It could be that he wants to avoid paying the employer half of Social Security, unemployment tax and workers compensation insurance. You could discretely contact your state unemployment agency or labor department and rat her out. If there are more workers than you, the state will be glad to know.

  • 2 years ago

    Basically they're not filling out any tax forms on you. Report it.


    Employers paying cash under the table do not fill out quarterly or annual tax forms. ... Employers who pay employees under the table do not comply with employment laws. According to the IRS, paying employees cash under the table is one of the top types of employment tax non-compliance.

    Is Paying Employees Cash Under the Table Legal? - Patriot Software

  • 2 years ago

    It saves her money to not provide paycheck stubs. She is not paying her share of the taxes, nor any FICA. She also doesn't have you covered with workers cmpensation insurance, so if you get injured, you are not going to have any protection. If I were you, I would find another job, then report her to the labor board. In the meantime, make copies of the checks before you cash them.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.